Best wet ufh?

So far I've seen Nuheat and the Wunda stuff 

I'm not however sure which would be the best, most responsive UFH system? Are newer UFHs a lot more responsive than older ones perhaps too ie: like a radiator ? Or do they still have slow response times? 

Thanks 

9 hours ago, anonymous said:

So far I've seen Nuheat and the Wunda stuff 

I'm not however sure which would be the best, most responsive UFH system? Are newer UFHs a lot more responsive than older ones perhaps too ie: like a radiator ? Or do they still have slow response times? 

Thanks 

Sorry way more details needed

New or retrofit

Heat source

Heat loss

Floor buildup

Heat loss

Assume you’re talking wet ufh. The response time is largely due to the ‘thermal mass’ of the floor. Minimum screed and max insulation under - fast response. Huge thick slab and no insulation - v slow response.

Electrical ufh on good insulation is v fast - a matter of minutes. Our wet ufh here (probably not on great insulation and not sure the temperatures and flows are set up right) is a day or two to get up from say 16 to 22.

Response time may not matter - most people in well insulated set-ups just leave the whole thing running to temp 24/7.

The make of controller doesn’t make much difference - electrical controller switching takes a second or so (most delay is app/wifi related), the actuators if you have them take maybe 20 seconds to open or close.

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Sorry way more details needed

New or retrofit

Heat source

Heat loss

Floor buildup

Heat loss

Retrofit 

Heat source is curently gas but will be a heat pump 

Not sure about the others though 

5 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Assume you’re talking wet ufh. The response time is largely due to the ‘thermal mass’ of the floor. Minimum screed and max insulation under - fast response. Huge thick slab and no insulation - v slow response.

Electrical ufh on good insulation is v fast - a matter of minutes. Our wet ufh here (probably not on great insulation and not sure the temperatures and flows are set up right) is a day or two to get up from say 16 to 22.

Response time may not matter - most people in well insulated set-ups just leave the whole thing running to temp 24/7.

The make of controller doesn’t make much difference - electrical controller switching takes a second or so (most delay is app/wifi related), the actuators if you have them take maybe 20 seconds to open or close.

Thanks though wet ufh is typically cheaper to run which is why I might do for that  instead 

What system did you get for wet ufh? 

15 hours ago, anonymous said:

best, most responsive UFH system? Are newer UFHs a lot more responsive than older ones perhaps too ie: like a radiator

13 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Responsive equals high flow temperature, which is the opposite to what is required for a heat pump.

16mm pert-al-pert, plenty of insulation below and screed/concrete above. Then once the heating season starts add low temp heat continuously.

A good gas boiler the same process.

16 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Thanks though wet ufh is typically cheaper to run which is why I might do for that

Generally used more energy over a year as a proportion of the heat goes into the ground.

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

proportion of the heat goes into the ground.

Not a lot if there is good insulation.

Also we tend to feel warmer if the floor is warm, (warm feet) so the air temp can be lower, in theory. 

16 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Not a lot if there is good insulation

Our old mate Jeremy worked out it was 8% more.

The best bit about UFH is that it is hidden.

8% more than heating the air?

I accept the theory, but in practice the pir stops warming up at some depth, and the ground is barely affected.

Then a lot depends on the distance to the outside, where the ground is weather affected.

Whereas, the warmer the air in the room, the more is lost in all planes, and through air movement.

Slso allow fif whether this is 60mm of screed or 150mm concrete being heated.

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

8% more than heating the air

Via radiators.

There is some difference with form factor, but that is true for any heating system.

Only a proper heat loss calculation with show the differences.  They should be done anyway.

18 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Responsive equals high flow temperature, which is the opposite to what is required for a heat pump.

16mm pert-al-pert, plenty of insulation below and screed/concrete above. Then once the heating season starts add low temp heat continuously.

A good gas boiler the same process.

Ahhh thanks. That's a fair shout. What company makes the best ufh? Nuheat seem pricey compared to Wunda. Unsure of others 

As said best is 

20 hours ago, JohnMo said:

16mm pert-al-pert, plenty of insulation below and screed/concrete above.

I got mine from outsourced energy shop. Decent prices, good delivery.

Best system is a simple system. I have no pumps, mixers, no zone valves, no wiring centre. Just a manifold and pipes.

https://www.outsourcedenergy.co.uk/shop/

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, anonymous said:

Retrofit 

Not sure about the others though 

disaster in the making.

before you do anything else, get your heat loss calcs done.

without this you are pizzing in the wind.