In a new build, who would you use first to supply internet, openreach, virgin

Sorry for all these questions. Ok so we currently use Virgin and they are fine, I am not a loyal customer though, we normally change every 2 years. In our new build if i get them then what later if I want to use one provided by openreach. Should I use BT or sky first? Thinking of keeping as many opetions open. Thinking of what size of conduit should we leave?

Also the 6a cable. what brands to buy which to avoid? I know to get shielded?

Thanks

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

if I want to use one provided by openreach. Should I use BT or sky first? Thinking of keeping as many opetions open. Thinking of what size of conduit should we leave?

Assuming you are in an OpenReach area, then it doesn't make a huge difference, but I went with Aquiss as it offered a 12 month contract (not 18/24) at a good price (50% off for first 6 months) and communicates excellently for the connection. They're pretty small and the MD works on the Support Desk. Free installation, but you need to supply your own router.

For cost reasons only, I did swap to Vodafone after 12 months. Aquiss don't offer the 50% off for 6 months on the second year.

Thinking of what size of conduit should we leave?

OpenReach should supply 50mm smooth rigid conduit FOC. If you get it yourself, don't go smaller 

Also the 6a cable. what brands to buy which to avoid? I know to get shielded?

Cat 6 is fine/easier/cheaper. There's different shielding options, highly unlikely interreference will be an issue, F/UTP, U/FTP or S/FTP all suitable.

image.thumb.png.a3f9e973ec917935e38b1675b33d4b2e.png

Edited by IanR

36 minutes ago, IanR said:

Cat 6 is fine/easier/cheaper.

CAT6A is not that more expensive, and I'd look to use it for data and HDBaseT/TV locations as a minimum. CAT6 would be fine elsewhere, especially for signalling-type activities in home automation.

I put the CAT5 cabling in my existing house 25 years ago and I'm happily running 1Gbit connections over it today. It was the best standard available then, although I certainly didn't *need* that cable performance back then. Had I put something else in that was cheaper though, I doubt it would have lasted 25 years.

Whether you go for CAT 6 or 6A, make sure you go for solid copper. Cheaper stuff is likely to be CCA (copper coated aluminium).

• Like 1