Another dumb SuDS question.

So you start off with your plot which is a bit of grass. Somehow it drains to somewhere right now even though it’s mostly clay.

You plan a house with a roof and a permeable driveway.

With me so far 😀.

What bit are you considering for SuDS drainage? The roof sure. The driveway? - Why though and what’s the point of making it permeable then? Surely not the grass, which is the same as before although there’s less of it? And can I get a credit for the grass that I’ve taken away and therefore doesn’t need to drain now?

Ah Suds - the plannings gotcha for stopping your build . It’s all a bit of a joke sometimes on a single build as you’ve pointed out . My planning insisted the ‘suds drainage ‘ was 10m from any boundary and any building . Making my build impossible….. 

20 hours ago, Pocster said:

Ah Suds - the plannings gotcha for stopping your build . It’s all a bit of a joke sometimes on a single build as you’ve pointed out . My planning insisted the ‘suds drainage ‘ was 10m from any boundary and any building . Making my build impossible….. 

So what happened?  Did you find a solution or just 'disappear' the relevant planner?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Bancroft said:

So what happened?  Did you find a solution or just 'disappear' the relevant planner?

Well ! Because it’s BS and I know that . I argued they had requested a mandatory thing that was impossible to achieve .

I then went and found successful applications where suds wasn’t even mentioned. I then found passed applications for single builds with no suds requirements passed by my planning officer 😊

Mandatory my ass .

I produced all this by surprise to them at a meeting .

Naturally they had no where to go …

So - my Suds requirement is simply listed as “ not completed “ so we carry on regardless .

BCO will still sign it off because they are incompetent and don’t even know what I’ve built .

If an issue does arrive where bco wants too see suds signed off I’ll simply dig all this up for them .

Edited by Pocster

22 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

In your experience, is the SuDS requirement a planning, BC or EA demand? Also I remember reading about some new organisations that were going to police SuDS?

Planning for me . None of those departments in my experience have any comms with the other . I’m fairly sure after 11 yr build , living onsite for nearly 3 yrs and still not signed off . Any come back on suds to (expletive deleted) me up will be dealt with … 

23 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

In your experience, is the SuDS requirement a planning, BC or EA demand? Also I remember reading about some new organisations that were going to police SuDS?

Nobody has shown the slightest interest in my SUDS stuff. Lots of effort, lots of commitment - the BCO couldn't have given a stinking stuff .  Police SUDS  - I'd love to see that .... love it

• Like 2

I've often had suds requirements. I can't remember ever having feedback or queries from a planner or  bco...

EA yes but it was for proposed  building in a flood plain....they were right.

I think it is a question of  knowledge kevel and ducking the responsibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

Suds on a single build is absolutely pointless .  

Don't agree. It all adds up.

Plus it is easy to do and so an easy win for society.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I disagree with your disagreement.

My suds requirement was a sub ground ‘channel ‘ for the water to run into but 10m from all buildings and boundaries ( that includes my build ) . That makes my build impossible ! . With that ‘distance’ requirement you would need a garden of say 20m by 20m so you could stick a ground chamber central in it - and then the land left for your build .

Large plot ; single dwelling then sure . Single dwelling in a city - not really do able . As op says ( like my plot ) - before build a chunk of land which rainwater permeates through . Now ? . Build with a roof , rainwater gutter going into the land . What’s the difference? . No massive non permeable driveway and rainwater skirting off it …

Edited by Pocster

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Actually it’s funny you say that . Single builds whom can implement suds will of course add up . Planning ‘argued’ my single build didn’t add to the housing stock ….. Without swearing at them I said it added 1 ( I’m good at maths ) . So you can ‘argue’ it’s pointless or it’s additional - that’s how my planning works . If I could have done it easily I would have . Failing the 10m rule they wanted rainwater run off to run to the nearest storm drain - cost of that ( as it’s out on the street ) was 80k …. 🫤

• Sad 1

Just now, saveasteading said:

The 10m rule is too simplistic. Ask again next project.

Trust me at face to face meeting I let them know how simplistic they are ! . As you can tell there was no “ suds formal plan “ for me - it was just a component to aid refusal of my application. (expletive deleted) ‘em 💪👍

14 hours ago, Pocster said:

My suds requirement was a sub ground ‘channel ‘ for the water to run into but 10m from all buildings and boundaries ( that includes my build ) . That makes my build impossible ! . ...

A 110 pipe ....?

On 04/07/2024 at 21:05, Pocster said:

You can put SUDS right upto your build, just need them designed by a geotech with a PI policy. This gets round the normal 5m min distance rule. 

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

You can put SUDS right upto your build, just need them designed by a geotech with a PI policy. This gets round the normal 5m min distance rule. 

Don’t doubt it . At the time though planning gave their demands and that was it . So suggestions of home to implement. I noticed also the suds requirement for other builds was the same as mine I.e they simply cut ‘n’ paste a condition ….

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

Don’t doubt it . At the time though planning gave their demands and that was it . So suggestions of home to implement. I noticed also the suds requirement for other builds was the same as mine I.e they simply cut ‘n’ paste a condition ….

easy appeal win though, at most SUDS is a planning condition that needs discharging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

easy appeal win though, at most SUDS is a planning condition that needs discharging.

My suds condition didn’t ( can’t be ) discharged . So I’m not sure what’s to gain for me by getting it …. ( regardless of whether or not I implement suds - which of course I can’t ) . Don’t want to knob the donkey just for fun .

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

dump them into the foul with suitable crateage as a buffer ? or no mains sewer either ?

I honestly don’t think they care . It just fades away like so many of the important planning conditions they constructed …

Posted (edited)

I suspect your planning officers are not expert in the subject and have come up with this rather random stipulation in one project then stuck with it. 

Memory tells me that bldg regs says 5m, but that is a starting point too.

I've only seen conditions that a suitable suds scheme is put in place. I guess that is sensible for a professionally designed scheme. But for a diy proposal perhaps the 10m idea is fair...it's not going to upset the foundations and doesn't need a consultant.

I'm sure that they must accept alternatives from an expert. If they refused that from me I would get really heavy on them.

Edited by saveasteading
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Pocster said:

My suds condition didn’t ( can’t be ) discharged . So I’m not sure what’s to gain for me by getting it …. ( regardless of whether or not I implement suds - which of course I can’t ) . Don’t want to knob the donkey just for fun .

planners dont design SUDS so it begs the question who come up with your design and who put it to the planners.

• Like 1