Do I need planning permission for a new brick wall with pillars and grills

Hi, I just need some advice, please.

I am about to create a brick wall to replace our old fence. I heard that we are only allowed to create a wall or gate up to 1 metre high if it’s next to highways, or else we need planning permission. 
The builder told me that we are allowed to create walls over 1 metre in height by adding columns and cast iron grills, as shown in the attached picture. The picture I attached here is an example. Can someone please tell me if this is allowed? Does this type of walls are considered as over 1 M height ?

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

Builders are not experts in planning matters. I've seen it so many times here were people have followed the advice of trades and ended up on the wrong side of planning / building control.  Glad you came here before doing anything. 

Anyway, speak to planning, provide a sketch and photos and see if they'll advise. Unless there's previous permission for a structure over 1m, you'll likely need planning. On the plus side, planners dislike fences and like walls and hedges. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilDamo said:

The builder is wrong. Maximum height under PD where it’s adjacent to a highway is 1m.

This.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ETC said:

I have submitted a pre planning application a month ago but they didn’t replied yet 

Edited by Achu

Assume you’ve gone for Pre-app to find out the likely chances of securing approval? Pre-app responses will not tell you whether or not you require Planning. That is what a CoL/LDC is for.