Fitting a long steel in a short hole...

Posted (edited)

I would have thought alongside the rear perlin as unlike the front perlin there is no central wall support. 🤷‍♂️ Can you give us a plan view of the upstairs rooms as they exist and what you propose ?

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Can you give us a plan view of the upstairs rooms as they exist and what you propose ?

And the corresponding downstairs layout see we can see what any upstairs walls can transfer load to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I would have thought alongside the rear perlin as unlike the front perlin there is no central wall support. 🤷‍♂️ Can you give us a plan view of the upstairs rooms as they exist and what you propose ?

as is... Ground, upper, and overlaid. I've looked at a few alternatives on the proposed, but basically they all revolve around the small room at the back upstairs being moved left or right, with a second room beside it big enough for an upstairs bathroom. I'm willing to entertain anything that allows the addition of an upstairs bathroom, without losing the bedrooms (don't think my offspring would want to sleep in the bath)

image.thumb.png.e2ac334c62eb6e6d37b648f9431f7f84.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So if the middle wall had extended to the rear of the house it would support the rear purlin  mid span like the purlin towards the front..? If so what about a steel in my CAD (crayon assisted drawing) below 

image.jpg

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

So if the middle wall had extended to the rear of the house it would support the rear purlin  mid span like the purlin towards the front..? If so what about a steel in my CAD (crayon assisted drawing) below 

image.jpg

that’s almost exactly what I asked the second SE, only my support was upright rather than following the existing slope (to open up for the dormer room to be added) 

the answer was that I still needed steels alongside the purlins, and that is the bit we can’t fit in without taking most (if not all) the roof off.

1 hour ago, ETC said:

What are you trying to achieve in relation to the plan?

extend the dormer room on both sides to allow the existing small room to be moved sideways and a bathroom be fitted beside it.