Who inspects lintels?

We've got some 1920s timber lintels, and before replacing windows and doors I figured we should get them checked to see if any need replacing. One window frame is bowed at the top and there's cracks above another couple.

We also have a bay window that I suspect is structurally unsound.

Who should I ask to do this? A builder? (RICS) surveyor? Structural engineer?

if you ask an SE then I guess you will pay

if you have a 'friendly' builder then ask him, depends on how you are planning to fix.

you may need an SE / surveyor for fixing, but for an initial question then builder.

From what you described nobody is going to say it’s fine, so you might as well go straight to a builder. Hopefully one who can come up with a pragmatic solution.

Posted (edited)

I don't mind paying for the advice. I got a builder round (I don't have a "friendly" one) and he was happy to quote for new lintels and cavity drip trays, and got defensive when I asked if helical bars could be used to repair the brick arch over the front door. So I'd quite like a view from someone who doesn't have a financial motive in the work.

Photos from the opening up I've done so far:

Landing (has cracked external sill)

IMG_20240628_171615.thumb.jpg.ee733f32e65f49dea52912c52cc4a5e9.jpg

I will have to strip off more plaster to see if the lintel has deflection, or only the original wooden window surround.

IMG_20240628_171535.thumb.jpg.3a6279779e35beb8c675e0dd2e43941d.jpg

Directly below it - original sash window under the stairs (gets damp in the cavity here - assuming due to cracked sill above?)

IMG_20240628_171814.thumb.jpg.8806e8d91587776cbf66ff257526d201.jpg

I'll take photos of the front door arch tomorrow when I've taken the porch ceiling down.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

On 28/06/2024 at 13:47, Sparrowhawk said:

We've got some 1920s timber lintels, and before replacing windows and doors I figured we should get them checked to see if any need replacing. One window frame is bowed at the top and there's cracks above another couple.

We also have a bay window that I suspect is structurally unsound.

Who should I ask to do this? A builder? (RICS) surveyor? Structural engineer?

For me I would weigh up getting a bit of professional advice (say £300 - £400 + vat) against say a days builder's labour and materials that could prove a waste of time.. or make things worse.

I hope the following helps a bit.

Take an old building like yours 1920's. Door frames tended to be made out of 6" x 2" timber with bricks over. The bricks and timber interacted a little so developed what we today call composite action.. in those days they knew it kind of worked but could not quantify it. Window frames were more sturdy timbers and these too interacted with the surrounding walls.

I see this a lot where folk are making open plan spaces and wonder why I want to introduce wind posts and other stuff. But I point out.. hey you now have PVC windows which are very flexible.. some silicon and plastic DPCs which create slip planes.. so now there is no interaction and things start to bend / protest.

For me I go back to the way to when the building was constructed.. try and understand what has changed and when.. then try and work out what to do next.. in a cost effective and buildable way. To do this well you need to examine the whole building to get a feel for it and then look in detal at the windows / doors etc.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, getting a Structural Engineer to visit was thoroughly worthwhile. He came today and passed all the lintels as fine, though said that with the slightly bowed one with a slightly twisted window on the landing, if it was his house he'd replace this one while the window was out - but it was up to us because the state of the window could be down to poor fitting. All cracking is thermal cracking and nothing large enough to be of concern.

The biggest win was the outer leaf of the bay window base, which a builder told us would have to be taken down and rebuilt, including digging out new foundations. For this the structural engineer reckoned that replacing one or two courses of bricks at the top (the most water damaged), and adding more wall ties as there's only 3 would be all that's needed, even with the extra weight of triple glazing.

• Like 2

While a builder might have some experience with this, they may not have the in-depth structural knowledge of an engineer. A RICS surveyor is primarily concerned with property valuation and might not have the expertise to assess structural integrity.