Outline planning and approval of reserved matters

We bought our land late last year, it has OPP for "Erection of one dwelling & modify existing vehicular access".  There were no house plans submitted for this application, just a location & site plan (which was the land only - not even a footprint for the proposed dwelling).  The site was one of four identified for development in the village, two had been completed, one just had footings in and ours was the only one that had gone for OPP.

For background, since 2012 I worked as an Architectural Technologist submitting plan for small scale extensions etc. along with subsequent BR applications.  I haven't ever worked on a new build and so although comfortable with the planning process this is a little outside my experience.

The approval of the OPP contained a few conditions, the main one of which states that "no part of the development shall commence until details of all reserved matters (access, appearance, landscaping, layout and scale etc. etc.

So I designed house etc. and somewhat went into autopilot mode to submit a planning application.  It was only when I was reviewing everything that  I put my brain in gear and realised that all we were doing was applying for "Approval of reserved matters" not applying for PP.  At this point I corrected the application type on the Planning Portal and tried to understand the process.

So, given that the original OPP was very, very simple - no house design at all - I am uncertain as to how the local planning authority will treat the application.  Does it still go to neighbour consultation?  I would have thought not but am willing to be corrected.  We are planning for single storey, flat (green) roof, as sustainable design and build as possible without (probably) going for passive house certification.  So it ticks all the boxes on that side of the equation.  The village itself has little in the way of common housing vernacular having grown in a fairly haphazard way over the last 50 years or so.  The properties on either side have no real architectural merit.  On one side is a 60's bungalow, on the other is a rather ugly two storey residence (now owned by Salisbury Diocese).  So our proposed build will not fit with either but hopefully complement the overall look and feel of the village.

Any pointers from anyone who has been through this rather unique (I think?) scenario are welcome as well as anyone else who has thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Approval of Reserved Matters was correct, that is exactly what we did following outline permission.

What, if any, detail was in your original OPP?  Did your approval of reserved matters go to public consultation?

1 hour ago, mjc55 said:

What, if any, detail was in your original OPP?  Did your approval of reserved matters go to public consultation?

Just a rough outline of where the house would go.

ARM application went to public consultation just like any other but this time with full details.

• Like 1

We bought our plot with outline planning permission, but only for "means of access".  Appearance, Landscaping, layout, scale, were all reserved matters. 

"Means of access", was the contentious one due to location up narrow country lane, albeit in a 30mph zone. 

Along with detailed plans, traffic monitoring, splays etc for the access, The planning consultant included, various things like tree surveys, and drawing with sample layout and generic.

When we bought, we employed architect to design and submit reserved matters. 

• Like 1

I am about to submit this today and something just occurred to me that I hadn't really taken account of!

The OPP which was approved is for "Erection of one dwelling & modify existing vehicular access".  The only drawing submitted for the OPP was a Location and Site Plan.

The slight worry I have is that the Project "description" on the drawing states "Proposed two storey dwelling" whereas as our plan is for single storey!

Would it be reasonable for me to conclude that there shouldn't be an issue here?

Thanks in advance.

If the CIL is a thing in your area don't start any work on site until you have formally claimed and been granted the CIL exemption for self builders. Even if the planners tell you it will be exempt you must formally claim it on the right paperwork or loose it and pay £fortune.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Temp said:

If the CIL is a thing in your area don't start any work on site until you have formally claimed and been granted the CIL exemption for self builders. Even if the planners tell you it will be exempt you must formally claim it on the right paperwork or loose it and pay £fortune.

Yes, I was aware but thanks anyway 👍

Well, a bit longer to do this than I originally envisioned but PP in today, hopefully it will sail through with no issues 🤞