Screed Issues?

We have recent;y had a liquid screed poured in our house over UFH pipework.  The general finish is good (though its 15mm thicker than we wanted which is going to cause its own issues).

The main thing I don't understand is that the screeders put wooden strips across all the thresholds and left them in at the end - this has resulted in level differences either side which is going to play havoc with flooring.

Is this normal?  They did say they are not used to liquid screeds so not sure if this was an ad-hoc thing they did to try and manage it.  The screed is cemfloor C20 so shouldn't need expansion gaps either.

Also - any suggestions on how to get them out!?

20240626_204042.jpg

20240626_204007.jpg

20240626_204028.jpg

20240626_204038.jpg

Normal to add them at all door thresholds reduces cracking at the narrowest points in the screed.  We had one room where the level was higher on one side than the other by a few mm. Was easily lost in the tiling. 

Did they use wee spider levels all over the place to get the levels right as an extra 15mm is quite a lot. That would have buggered up my ffl if ours had been out by that much. 

Edited by Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin, from all the project photos I've been for Cemfloor I didn't see any threshold strips used so was surpised - no idea how we're going to get them out.

Unfortunately we're not tiling, wooden flooring is going down so no grout to help absorb the difference (one doorway has 10mm difference!).

Any suggestions on how to get these out?  We have to be careful as they are sat on UFH pipes.

8 minutes ago, Boba said:

Any suggestions on how to get these out?  We have to be careful as they are sat on UFH pipes.

Do you need to remove, just cut them flush?

Get them back to sort height difference?

36 minutes ago, Boba said:

15mm thicker than we wanted which is going to cause its own issues).

What issues are you thinking?

14 minutes ago, Boba said:

Thanks Kelvin, from all the project photos I've been for Cemfloor I didn't see any threshold strips used so was surpised - 

They could have been buried beneath the screed. They are sometimes called joints but that’s the wrong term I think in this case as it’s not a joint. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

What issues are you thinking?

We have a very small margin for error due to door heights and supporting lintels.  We're going to have to raise the lintels for an exterior door.

thats a real mess unfortunately.

Screeding is a trade, this liquid crap isnt. 

Get them back to wither break it out and start again or grind it down flat. The follow on trades will have a nightmare if the floor isnt level.

I pulled or cut out the expansion strips then ground down and differences in height with a grinder. Didn't take long.

How did they set the datum? We picked the most critical threshold height and set the level from there.

Edited by Conor

1 hour ago, Boba said:

We have a very small margin for error due to door heights and supporting lintels.  We're going to have to raise the lintels for an exterior door.

I highly doubt this. You doors will come with a good 25mm gap allowance that can be filled with foam. Internal doors are easily trimmed down.

It's sortable. The screed will shrink, not expand. Then these will pull out. If they don't then just cut them flush.

The levels change is silly. Get them to grind it locally.

Ignore @Dave Jones he enjoys winding people up which could often cause serious distress. Occasionally something he says is accurate... this is one of the 95% wrong. 

As @Kelvinasks, did they use spiders/ triffids? If not, then check all areas. Roll a golf ball and see if it runs straight. Check clearances for doors.