HELP, failed perc test and on clay soil

20 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

dredging the rivers again would be a good start.

A common misunderstanding. That would require dredging all the way with falls to the sea, and then into the sea......oh dear that wouldn't work either.

On 25/06/2024 at 11:47, Dave Jones said:

all they want is a perc test report. make one yourself, sign it and its done.

You're not saying to lie ? 

Would the rainwater then suddenly disappear?

Edited by saveasteading

43 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

A common misunderstanding. That would require dredging all the way with falls to the sea, and then into the sea......oh dear that wouldn't work either.

try having a bath in 2" of water then dredging it to 3' .

its not rocket science.

41 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

You're not saying to lie ? 

Would the rainwater then suddenly disappear?

last reply to this nonsense, there is no other way to remove rainwater in a lot of houses. no ditches, ponds etc. soakaway crates/attenuation tank with overflow is perfectly normal.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

Try having a bath in 2" of water then dredging it to 3' .

its not rocket science.

Actually perhaps it is more complex than I thought. Your analogy isn't great but let's persevere. 

Most baths have a plug on the bottom.

If they only emptied from the overflow, being deeper would not help other than hold some water for a short time.

Rivers have their outlets at the end, not the bottom, and being deeper does not help flow.

The temporary volume from dredging is a tiny proportion. The earth goes where?

Oops you are winding me up aren't you. 

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2024 at 13:19, nowtie said:

You don't think they'd question why we're re-submitting the perc tests as successful when we'd already submitted them as not

In case there is any doubt, I'm only helping an  honest solution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, nowtie said:

deep bore soakaway for surface water run off and NOT

They are renowned for clogging in a few years, requiring a change of gravel. ie expensive.

How much land have you? Level or sloping?

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

They are renowned for clogging in a few years, requiring a change of gravel. ie expensive.

How much land have you? Level or sloping?

Ah ok, well I have hit a total roadblock in terms of trying to get a condition discharged, exhausted every option now and can't start any building work until we've got the surface water condition discharged....I have put together a new thread on this, see below.

Yes the site is long, narrow and has very gradual slope 

Do you own any nearby land on your farm you could direct the water to? I have a pond that Building Control were happy with, which is not on the building site. 

16 hours ago, nowtie said:

Ah ok, well I have hit a total roadblock in terms of trying to get a condition discharged, exhausted every option now and can't start any building work until we've got the surface water condition discharged....I have put together a new thread on this, see below.

Yes the site is long, narrow and has very gradual slope 

you have the answer on of to get it discharged just a case of doing it.

Cant use a well as a soakaway BCO will reject it. We exposed an old, very deep, well on our build and had asked that question. Had to fill it in.

The ground report mentuons fractured stone. That usually precludes diverting water into ita borehole or pit, because it creates a swallow hole in time.

Just construct a swale and or  pond.

Edited by saveasteading

11 hours ago, Jilly said:

Do you own any nearby land on your farm you could direct the water to? I have a pond that Building Control were happy with, which is not on the building site. 

No! It's not on our farm. It's a site about 2 miles away. We know the farmer who owns the field to the rear but their pond is over 200m away and up a hill!!

• Sad 1

On 26/06/2024 at 15:47, joe90 said:

Get that JCB fired up and dig lots of holes 🤞

We're going out to site this afternoon to dig a few holes on site. How many do you think? Hubby saying 3 more is enough? How deep should they go? We're following BRS 365 but it varies all over the place on depth varying from 300mm to 2-3m!!

First try the obvious. Where will the rainwater pipe be? Dig down to that level for access. Then hand dig your 300 x 300 x 300 test pit.   Fill it and let it soak away or not, before the formal test.

If you want, try another hole or 2, in possible locations. Near a hedge or trees might have help from gaps  left by roots.

Record your tests as the bco may just accept this.

Be safe. 1m deep holes can collapse and kill.

Edited by saveasteading
  • Thanks 1

I would dig as deep as possible with the JCB not for perc test but for DIY soil investigation. Maybe the extremities of the plot and one in the middle. As I said, you're looking for anything sandy or porous at any depth to begin with.