UFH screed question. Depth/type

Having read loads on here and elsewhere i have always thought that the way to go is 50mm wet pour screed. Structural house plans are designed with 75mm screed and the old fashioned 'dry' type.

House kit supplier is telling me this is mandated.

Because the depth has ramifications elsewhere i dont think i can chnge the 75mm figure. To use wet pour will cost 50% more. To have a 'dry' concrete dragged pour will take a lot longer to do and may or may not cost more then the wet pour.

One suggestion was to just add another 25mm of insulation and do the wet pour.

Is anyone aware of the truth of this statement that 75mm is mandated please?   ( i doubt it)

keith

more than likely it will be 75mm as this works brick to DPC. Personally prefer the dry screed over the wet crap any day of the week. Dont buy the hype its perfectly level.

whats your issue with just cracking on with 75mm ?

‘Wet crap’ enough with the stupid comments. 

What is their reason for mandating it? Ask them specifically what their issues are. They all default to this, ours did but we poured Cemfloor. 

What is the current insulation depth? 

What do you mean by the dry type will take a lot longer. 
wet self leveling stuff they will be done in 2-3 hours, dry traditional they will be done in one day. 
hardly much longer. 

drying time will be longer, with traditional you will need to stay off it for a couple of days if it had an inhibitor in it when laid. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

150mm kingspan PIR

Worth using the flowed screed and more insulation then once you understand what their issues are with mandating dry screed. 

Your in construction phase, why are you still designing and changing stuff. Plans should be frozen unless there is a major design flaw that was missed. This is personal choice and messing with decisions that should have discussed and thought through months ago.

Changing floor height messes with every room in the house, stairs are messed up, access to house messed up, if internal doorway are already formed they all need to be reworked etc.

Leave as designed and move on.

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Your in construction phase,

Where have i said that i am in construction phase? You will notice that i also said i dont think i can change anything from a levels/height point of view.

The question was whether wet pour is preferable/affordable and whether anyone knew if mandating either option was likely to be true.

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Changing floor height messes with every room in the house

Yes it would.

While it’s best not to change designs especially something this fundamental sometimes you have to. We ended up in that position due to a major balls up by the kit erector and had to make a significant change to our floor build up 1 week before the screed was poured. It worked out ok and our ffl was bang on but not an ideal situation and extremely stressful but doable. Therefore if you have the time then take the time. 

You’re also not changing floor height you’re changing the build up to get back to the same floor height? 

Edited by Kelvin