Alternative plaster finishes?

Anyone used any plaster finishes which are not just matt painted plasterboard?

I have in my minds eye something with a bit more actual and visual texture?

Yeah, start by making all the jokes about Artex and 80s rag roll finishes etc you want - I'm thinking of something classy :), maybe something a bit ... continental....

This kind of thing maybe?

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/venetian-plaster-trend-guide

Image may contain Staircase Floor Flooring Interior Design and Indoors

Venetian plaster is a real art and looks fab, I considered it for my new build bathrooms having seen it in the flesh but I’ll health and timing precluded it. If any one is interested i know an Italian trained Venitian trained plasterer (and standard stuff) in the Bristol area who I have used a lot and is very good. I can PM a telephone number if anyone is interested. (He was my go to plasterer for quite a few years after I discovered him. Venitian plaster is not cheap tho as multiple layers are required and special additives which need importing.

The Italian school he trained at will only select plasteres they want to train, you can’t apply (shame he didn’t like Italian food 🤣).

I really like clay plaster https://clay-works.com/gallery_category/residential/

I haven't got to use it in this project after finding out how much it costs and then having to use one of their approved plasterers.

My mum made her own plaster and also pigmented it herself for her renovation project and it looks amazing - I don't have the time to even contemplate this though.

So....I've gone for a half way house. Gypsum plaster finished with clay paint.

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

@SimonD - your mum might reveal the recipe she used?

I'll ask her about it when I see her in a couple of weeks and see what she says. From talking to her before, it's getting the pigments right that is challenging, but she' been making her own paints for years so has learned that dark art well.

13 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

This kind of thing maybe?

We used Venetian Plaster in all the bathrooms in our last place. Much prefer it to tiles.

Q1010006.thumb.JPG.db1591356d1cb61221c2d89c5b3f67ed.JPG

P1010006.thumb.jpg.a266414a21426a221a46149cdcb96170.jpg

• Like 2