Adjustable wall fixing

I only concern with this is that plasterer skims it away to invisible once painted . I’ve got a few other jobs for plasterer when I get him so it’s not get him in for just this .

1 minute ago, SimonD said:

I don't trust those.

These are much, much better: https://www.tcfixings.co.uk/category/toggler-snaptoggle-plasterboard-anchors/1001 which I use to fix radiators to plasterboard. Or, I use these to fix towel rads to plasterboard (because they get pulled about with towels etc. which are solid as:

https://www.geefix.com/

I like those geefixings . I could try them I.e test on pb off cut to convince myself . Then try on wall - worst case I got back to cutting rectangle out ; nothing to lose …

3 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Understand the method for 1 fixing . But surely far easier for me with 4 fixings in a row to cut out rectangle and noggin between studs … ?

Something like this ?

IMG_9961.jpeg

Yes I agree, how about a sheet of ply behind (in case SWMBO changes her mind 🤷‍♂️) if your plasterer is coming back then why not. 

• Like 1

Just now, joe90 said:

Yes I agree, how about a sheet of ply behind (in case SWMBO changes her mind 🤷‍♂️) if your plasterer is coming back then why not. 

Considered that also . SWMBO change her mind ?? Never …. 😆

20 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Ordered those geefixings - try that first .

Not sure they'll work. As I mentioned before, I think these will be the type that need something to be fastened tight to the plasterboard to work, i.e. you fix a batten to the wall. You just need a screw sticking out and unless I'm really wrong, I don't think those will work for that...

EDIT - just watched a Youtube video. They *might* work I guess...

Edited by garrymartin
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

Not sure they'll work. As I mentioned before, I think these will be the type that need something to be fastened tight to the plasterboard to work, i.e. you fix a batten to the wall. You just need a screw sticking out and unless I'm really wrong, I don't think those will work for that...

I’ll risk 15 quid and see . 

34 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

No, they work 😉, with just plain old plasterboardand even better double plaster board and even on internal timber cladding. You just need to have a decent cavity behind the plasterboard to get the fixings in. This is partly why to toggle clamps are great as they need less room behind the plasterboard but also you can remove the screw, or bolt (because they come in different thread sizes) and the fixing stays in place.

• Like 2

I like these things for that sort of job:

https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/products/cavity-fixings/board-fixing/metal-cavity-fixing-hm

Only the Fischer ones, the competitor ones are rubbish. You really do need to use the pliers thingy ('setting tool') to pull them tight before you screw into them. Ask me how I know.

With these you can screw and remove as often as you like.

• Like 1

Oooooo

Off my basic test these seem surprisingly good . I like that the centre screw ( the one taking the load ) can be of your choice and even placed in at an angle if need be . So some play . Enough work for today - tomorrow I will attempt mounting on the wall ….

IMG_9966.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

Oooooo

Off my basic test these seem surprisingly good . I like that the centre screw ( the one taking the load ) can be of your choice and even placed in at an angle if need be . So some play . Enough work for today - tomorrow I will attempt mounting on the wall ….

IMG_9966.jpeg

3pm is start winding down time . Days seem very short for me . Once up in the morning , back from gym , have an obligatory rest , then lunch - time just flies by .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

3pm is start winding down time . Days seem very short for me . Once up in the morning , back from gym , have an obligatory rest , then lunch - time just flies by .

I think you're working too hard. I'm now off to take my son around Europe for 2 months. My wife's not too pleased as she's got to stay home and work coz she's an employee.....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SimonD said:

I think you're working too hard. I'm now off to take my son around Europe for 2 months. My wife's not too pleased as she's got to stay home and work coz she's an employee.....

I do work too hard . Been saying that on this forum for over 11 yrs .

Not sure how you wangled that with SWMBO but does sound awesome ! May I ask countries you intend to visit ?

5 minutes ago, Pocster said:

I do work too hard . Been saying that on this forum for over 11 yrs .

Not sure how you wangled that with SWMBO but does sound awesome ! May I ask countries you intend to visit ?

I'm not quite sure how I did it either. I'm sure there's a repayment lined up somewhere! My oldest son loves the mountains, so we're off to the wilderness of northern Sweden for a while, then mainly to Austria to explore there for the climbing, but as we're meandering, we'll be visiting France, Switzerland and Germany, possible nip over the Norway from Sweden too.

Desparately need to finish packing, meanwhile I've got some backboxes and 1st fix cabling to do to that the bloody electricians 'forgot' so the plasterer can come in to finish boarding up and plaster a few rooms while I'm away - hard work this malarky

• Like 2

Just now, SimonD said:

I'm not quite sure how I did it either. I'm sure there's a repayment lined up somewhere! My oldest son loves the mountains, so we're off to the wilderness of northern Sweden for a while, then mainly to Austria to explore there for the climbing, but as we're meandering, we'll be visiting France, Switzerland and Germany, possible nip over the Norway from Sweden too.

Desparately need to finish packing, meanwhile I've got some backboxes and 1st fix cabling to do to that the bloody electricians 'forgot' so the plasterer can come in to finish boarding up and plaster a few rooms while I'm away - hard work this malarky

Sounds far better than a self build ! Yes , repayment to SWMBO will occur - cost of that will be unimaginable!! . 
I think you should post in my group :

I mean ; delaying build by a jolly around Europe for 2 months is a very good excuse !

4 hours ago, Pocster said:

do work too hard . Been saying that on this forum for over 11 yrs .

No wonder your build is not finished 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lots of swearing !

Not with these fixings - they seem really good for pb . But with the tiny key hole fitting on the back - doesn’t help that their fixings aren’t perfectly lined up . Anyway half done !!

IMG_9980.jpeg

IMG_9981.jpeg

Edited by Pocster

What a pita . The fittings are good . One issue is that the centre screw whilst installing can catch the nylon and so spins the fitting unhelpfully . One time I thought it was in ( you remove the nylon thread at this point ) and inner fitting just fell down inside the wall . 🙄

I recommend these fittings for pb - but like (expletive deleted) would I hang say a tv off them - no chance .

Photo of completed work . Will update later with photo of unit on floor and pb failed 🤣

Home time now ! Oh , I am home . Home and Friday , so ????? 🤔 ……. 🍷 

IMG_9983.jpeg

@Pocster I don’t understand about you needing a spread to re-plaster after cutting a square of plasterboard out. Surely you just put the same square back in and then just easyfill around the edge? 🤷‍♂️

glad you got it sorted though

10 hours ago, Thorfun said:

@Pocster I don’t understand about you needing a spread to re-plaster after cutting a square of plasterboard out. Surely you just put the same square back in and then just easyfill around the edge? 🤷‍♂️

glad you got it sorted though

If I do that then say polyfilla around the re inserted rectangle it will look shit . A large area can look perfect if re skimmed . Of course if your poly filla skills are amazing then perhaps it would work . I was just trying to do the job to a professional level for once .

• Haha 1