Urgent assistance: Constructing Flat roof stuck with a problem

Hemant

There appears to be an issue with the height of the new flat roof on the rear extension. The increased height doesn't leave enough space for proper flashing installation (clashing with Window). Unfortunately, we can't lower the steel beams as they have been welded. Could we discuss potential solutions to address these concerns?

Roof_Height_Issue.png

Roof_Height_Issue1.png

Posted (edited)

My thoughts are:

1. Replace the window above with a smaller one and brick up to new sill height.

or

2. Redesign the roof so the insulation is within the depth of the steel and board out just above steels for roof deck. Even at that, flashing detail won't be 100% but can work because you can use the sill in your favour to get a good seal to the flashing. You are meant to have 150mm upstand then dressed into brick, but in fairness, I have 75mm flashing upstand which I dressed in under windowsills.

Who made this mistake?

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We had this issue, BC insisted we raise the sill up two courses to get the min 150mm flashing... Of course that meant new window. We couldn't lower the roof. Luckily, all of this was spotted by my builder at a very early stage.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

Thankyou Carrerahill and Conor. 

The mistake was made by both the architect and the builder. The architect did not take the measurements properly, and the builder followed the architect's drawing without verifying, only to discover the issue later. I believe the best solution is to replace the window with one of reduced height. Thank you again.