Good evening, I'm after advice, hopefully I'm in the right place

Cross

We moved into our 1950's house 20 years ago. In the deeds it was set that we have to let any housing built at the end of our garden have access for pipes for sewage. A bungalow has recently been built, we've allowed access in our garden as and when needed. The builder is running pipes from his property through our garden, which we expected and accepted. He is now saying he wants to put an access chamber with a manhole cover in the middle of our garden. I feel that is a bit different to running drains through. He will also be digging up our patio. I know he has to do work to an acceptable standard but I'm not happy especially about the manhole cover in our lawn. The deeds are all a bit vague, saying access to pipes. Are we legally bound to accept the access chamber? We've spoken to a solicitor who agrees it is a grey area and not very clear. 

Posted (edited)

My view If the deeds say that access must be given  to allow development at the end of your garden, that would mean  whatever is necessary to meet the minimum building control standard, in connecting to the drains. Inspection chambers are usually required where there are junctions or branches. So if the builder is installing one it could well be because he has to. I doubt he would do it if it wasn’t necessary. Also, suppose it isn’t done and then there is a blockage and your garden has to be dug up to find and fix the blockage - you may be glad of an inspection chamber in this scenario.

I would just check that whatever is being done is necessary from a building control perspective, ensure it is done to a good standard, and that everything is ‘made good’ when finished. Also make sure that your drainage is unaffected - eg that a branch into your pipe is not poorly designed potentially causing you problems with blockages etc.

Edited by Crunchynut

I agree entirely with @Crunchynut.  

Is it an access chamber, or a smaller rodding point that is required.  When you say it’s in the middle of the garden can it actually be located where it is more discreet eg not in the middle of a lawn, perhaps in a bedding area where less of an issue.  Why does the access point need to be in your garden.  Is there a reason for that.

It sounds like the pipes do need an access point and your best bet would be to work with the builder to find the most discreet location / least worst location.

Unfortunately As above 

You beast option would be to ask him to set it low and once inspected drop a piece of turf on it In the unlikely event that access is needed It can quickly found with a garden fork 

I think he is taking the mickey a bit and that you have considerable negotiating room here to vary the route. Is there not an option to run a straight pipe through, which wouldn’t need a chamber? Depends on the exact wording of the clause and then how much effort you want to put in what result you’ll get. Why is he digging up your patio? Suggest start by asking him for other options and proposing your own route. Sounds like he’s probably going for the cheapest option regardless of the impact on you.

9 hours ago, Cross said:

... He is now saying he wants to put an access chamber with a manhole cover in the middle of our garden. ....  I'm not happy especially about the manhole cover in our lawn. The deeds are all a bit vague, saying access to pipes. Are we legally bound to accept the access chamber? ....

'legally' - we aren't qualified to give an answer. But this is the sort of situation which needs a good coat of Common-Sense.

His concern will be to reduce the likelihood and effects of a blockage. In all likelihood, all thats needed is a rodding point - which can very easily be 'lost' from view under some grass. One has been 'lost' in our garden for years.  

I've now marked it with a stake so it doesn't get smashed by a digger - again.

A photo or plan, or both would help us help you. An indication of scale would help even more.

Maybe see if you can locate a local drainage expert (at your expense ) to propose a solution that works better for you? Talk to their building control? Is the builder the principal or is there an owner somewhere? A professional would design it all up front and run it by you beforehand, maybe suggest some options to choose from, and try to minimise any impact on you.

The hardball action is an injunction to prevent access why you negotiate. It’s always better to try to resolve amicably first but some builders will just dig first and make lame excuses after. Those ones require a shot across the bows before you get them to negotiate. How much do you care though? Enough to spend money?

The cottages near me have a similar sewer behind the houses, but there is also a sewer in the road which could be joined if a new house were to be built at the end of the row. It would be more expensive, but might be cost effective if put in the same trench as the other new services. 

3 hours ago, nod said:

You beast option would be to ask him to set it low and once inspected drop a piece of turf on it In the unlikely event that access is needed It can quickly found with a garden fork

@nod has reminded me that this is exactly what we did our main garden for our self build and I forgot in my original reply. We have a large manhole cover in a prominent place in our lawn and this is how we dealt with it.  It’s not like access is going to be regular, only if there is a problem.    Would probably not turf it in though until after the build is complete due to higher likelihood of build debris getting in initially.  

• Like 1