Do you trust flexi connectors?

Crofter

10 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Yeah I tried it with the water running but it didn't make any difference. It doesn't matter if the switch is up or down, the water runs, so no failsafe. I don't know how they work but it's probably scaled up as it's before the water softener.

Ah, yes, the crusty death. ?

19 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I fitted a Surestop in the bungalow before I let it. It was never used and when I moved back in I found it didn't work. Are they the sort of thing that has to be used regularly or they seize up? I think they're a good idea but only if reliable.

16 hours ago, PeterStarck said:
19 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Did you use it with the water running ? These don't work if you switch them when the water isn't being drawn.  

Yeah I tried it with the water running but it didn't make any difference. It doesn't matter if the switch is up or down, the water runs, so no failsafe. I don't know how they work but it's probably scaled up as it's before the water softener.

The story here is that I had a T leave the water on at the stop tap when they went away in winter in about 2010, and the result was a leak which caused T to be out of the property fro about 8 weeks, 2 weeks of my time coordinating the repairs, and an 8k insurance claim.

Fitting the Surestop is just a way to make sure it is easy for the T to switch off the water, and easy enough that I can put something in the rental agreement for nights away that can be enforcible later.

As you say  @PeterStarck - that requires it to be reliable.

The oldest one I have in nearly 5 years old, but that T is still there so I can't take it out to examine.

My current arrangements for new rentals tend to be:

1 - Magnaclean on heating circuit when new rads or a new boiler are installed.

2 - LIFF Limefighter 2 (magnetic not electrolytic which is the Limebeater) and Surestop fitted with switch above worktop or inside cupboard.

3 - Term in the rental agreement that the Surestop be used when away overnight. I encourage them to use it when out for a day, and tell them the story of the Great Leak. I think that requiring Ts to croink around with a stop tap every time they are away overnight would make such a clause unenforcible due to being unreasonable.

I know that people have opinions about water softeners. My experience at home in the same geographical area is that a Limefghter 2 made a significant difference when we fitted one. And since they only cost £20-£30 compared to £800-1000 for a boiler it seems a no-brainer.

I will need to check which order the things are in in the system. Logically the Surestop has to be on the mains side if it is to be a stop tap replacement. Perhaps some thought needed there and to accept that it is a secondary stop tap (and perhaps go for the remote switch but non-WRAS version which would save a few £££).

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1