Best Humidistat extractor fan?

windsor-tg

My son has a problem with his kitchen wall where paint on part of the wall (external) is flaking. I have had a damp surveyor visit his home and he said that due to the lack of airflow, there is high humidity within the kitchen which is likely to be contributing to the problem.

The surveyor recommends a humidistat extractor fan is installed in the kitchen. Can anyone recommend a particular extractor fan that is effective & silent, and will reduce the humidity within the kitchen?

We did not particularly want to fit airbricks at the top & bottom of the kitchen wall (to help with airflow) because of traffic noise coming inside the house

"Silent" will not be "best"

I have fitted several of these recently for Landlords who report them as very effective for dealing with problems in bathrooms, but they are good because they are versatile and very powerful fans, which makes them neither cheap nor silent.   https://www.nuaire.co.uk/product-list-page/cyfan

You can adjust the idle speed so could end up with a quiet (but not silent) idle speed.

Greenwood CV2GIP, silent, smart humidity stat, easy to install, commission etc. cheap off eBay sometimes available.

But to work any fans need somewhere to draw from, so you need something on the other side if the room like a trickle vent always open.

But I would list what ventilation is actually installed now and look at the whole house ventilation strategy in the round, before fixing one thing.

47 minutes ago, windsor-tg said:

We did not particularly want to fit airbricks at the top & bottom of the kitchen wall (to help with airflow) because of traffic noise coming inside the house

That can be attenuated with suitable vents that knock the noise transfer down to nothing.

Also, consider a dehumidifier, with the condense pipe plumbed in so you don't have to mess with emptying it.  It doesn't waste any heat in the winter and you can dry your washing with one.

1 hour ago, windsor-tg said:

My son has a problem with his kitchen wall where paint on part of the wall (external) is flaking. I have had a damp surveyor visit his home and he said that due to the lack of airflow, there is high humidity within the kitchen which is likely to be contributing to the problem.

The surveyor recommends a humidistat extractor fan is installed in the kitchen. Can anyone recommend a particular extractor fan that is effective & silent, and will reduce the humidity within the kitchen?

exterior wall? --sounds like a lackof insulation as part of the problem -cold wall hot humid air --BINGO-

36 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Greenwood CV2GIP, silent, smart humidity stat, easy to install, commission etc. cheap off eBay sometimes available.

But to work any fans need somewhere to draw from, so you need something on the other side if the room like a trickle vent always open.

But I would list what ventilation is actually installed now and look at the whole house ventilation strategy in the round, before fixing one thing.

The ground floor consists of a through lounge and then the kitchen. Since the house is near a roundabout, there are no trickle vents on the windows at the front of lounge and at the back of the lounge. There is no door between the rear lounge and the kitchen. The kitchen contains a window which does have a trickle vent. 

The damp/flaking paint is on the external wall of the kitchen. The kitchen units touch this external wall. Not sure if thernally insulating the inside of the wall will help. I have attached a photo of this wall. 

Kitchen damp2.jpg

1 minute ago, windsor-tg said:

This is on the other side of the kitchen wall

IMG_9602.jpeg

a job for  some exterior insulation and render it -then i am guessing your problem will go away