Block Paving - Batch issues different shade

So today we have swept thoroughly the block paving and the colour difference is so noticeable.  We have had plenty of rain too and we have seen a new problem. We think some kind of oil has been spilt. Maybe from the builders using their whaker plate or some sort of equipment. It's not us as since the block paving started one car has been in the garage blocked and the other is stuck down the lane, infact no vehicles have been down the drive since the block paving started- the only equipment that needs oil or petrol is the builders whacker plate and still saw thing. It seems to be in quite a few places. I just don't know what to do - can anyone say if this is oil or what it looks like? I have checked my videos and it certainly wasn't visible from around a week ago which may be before it was whacker plated but it was visible on the photos from the last few days - I just thought it was wet.

20240526_161746.thumb.jpg.5b2ae932afd0ef247a7f8729e8e5892a.jpg20240526_161712.thumb.jpg.acd89b3450bf32afe116ee7e5f0b53f2.jpg20240526_161703.thumb.jpg.42a76f9d16b1a289aeab78e92c1e833c.jpg20240526_161652.thumb.jpg.425fd287c1e983e29384ac1f9737e17f.jpg

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

So today we have swept thoroughly the block paving and the colour difference is so noticeable.  We have had plenty of rain too and we have seen a new problem. We think some kind of oil has been spilt. Maybe from the builders using their whaker plate or some sort of equipment. It's not us as since the block paving started one car has been in the garage blocked and the other is stuck down the lane, infact no vehicles have been down the drive since the block paving started- the only equipment that needs oil or petrol is the builders whacker plate and still saw thing. It seems to be in quite a few places. I just don't know what to do - can anyone say if this is oil or what it looks like? I have checked my videos and it certainly wasn't visible from around a week ago which may be before it was whacker plated but it was visible on the photos from the last few days - I just thought it was wet.

20240526_161746.thumb.jpg.5b2ae932afd0ef247a7f8729e8e5892a.jpg20240526_161712.thumb.jpg.acd89b3450bf32afe116ee7e5f0b53f2.jpg20240526_161703.thumb.jpg.42a76f9d16b1a289aeab78e92c1e833c.jpg20240526_161652.thumb.jpg.425fd287c1e983e29384ac1f9737e17f.jpg

I would hazard a guess, where the paving has been stored, something has been spilt on them , it seems a little to sporadic for a whacker etc to leak like that looking at your pics 

Edited by stu w
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Are you sure it isn't just different drying times for different edges/gaps? All those stains seems suspiciously close to the edges!

Edited by Andehh
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Are you sure it isn't just different drying times for different edges/gaps? All those stains seems suspiciously close to the edges!

Maybe, I don't know they are in different places and even on some areas close to the front door which have been down a good couple of weeks.

We have messaged the builder tonight, telling him not to lay anymore and we have said we are more than happy to lift the ones he laid that are the different shade. One idea we had is just as you come in the gates where the corner is (where the bricks are stacked) he could do a pattern line of some in the very light colour he used on the edging.

20240526_213226.thumb.jpg.c7d878dfecda1dc4807f7c0f199b9be0.jpg

Similar to this pattern on the bottom....

Screenshot_20240526_212954_Photos.thumb.jpg.3259c067e32983681b42279d1bc3bb53.jpg

The pale bit would be a divide and the new darker batch could be laid from the gate to the patterned line but beyond the pattered line and abutting the old batch would absolutely need to match because the we can't have two different batch numbers directly next to one another it's just too noticeable.

Thoughts?

Posted (edited)

frankly I don’t believe youre builder is giving you value for money, you are paying for a “fit fir purpose” job and it’s not, it sounds Iike he appears reasonable but you should not have to put up with a second rate job. You say YOU are willing to lift the “wrong colour blocks“ , IMO that’s his job. I think you have to be honest with him and say “would you accept this?” Which I am sure he would not. Firstly he needs to find the correct batch then relay it all mixing up all pallets so no shades of colour difference stand out. If you are not firm now I believe you will only regret it in the future 🤷‍♂️.  Just sayin.

Edited by joe90

image.png.90858428c527be619455f99dd6aebad0.png

That can't be an oil spill. I'd say it is a slight level change causing puddling and slower drying very locally.

You probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for your general, and justified, unhappiness about the colour change.

If  it did happen to be a surface skim of light  oil then in time, 6 months?  it will be consumed by algae, or you could wash it off.

20 minutes ago, joe90 said:

frankly I don’t believe youre builder is giving you value for money, you are paying for a “fit fir purpose” job and it’s not, it sounds Iike he appears reasonable but you should not have to put up with a second rate job. You say YOU are willing to lift the “wrong colour blocks“ , IMO that’s his job. I think you have to be honest with him and say “would you accept this?” Which I am sure he would not. Firstly he needs to find the correct batch then relay it all mixing up all pallets so no shades of colour difference stand out. If you are not firm now I believe you will only regret it in the future 🤷‍♂️.  Just sayin.

The builder sounds a joke , just laying them with a colour match that far out is highlighting his poor quality and certainly his integrity.

We messaged the builder and said having thought about it we aren't happy and he said isn't happy with it either and said he is going to sort it. We are both on the same page! In fairness, I think he would have come back on Tuesday, seen it again and not been happy but I'm glad we raised it! Thank you everyone. 

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

You say YOU are willing to lift the “wrong colour blocks“ , IMO that’s his job.

Yes, we were just trying to be helpful. We like the guy but he did reply and say no its not our job!

58 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

That can't be an oil spill. I'd say it is a slight level change causing puddling and slower drying very locally.

You probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for your general, and justified, unhappiness about the colour change.

Maybe, I'm probably now just obsessing and getting all stressed about it.

Thanks everyone for your advice I really do appreciate it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If it’s oil  then it’s easy to tell. Just pour a tiny amount of water on it. The water will be repelled by the oil compared to the non stained pavers. If you pour more on the patch you’ll likely see an oil film on the surface of the water. Oil is easy enough to remove with liquid soap or baking soda. As others have said it’s unlikely to be oil. 

Edited by Kelvin

7 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Maybe, I'm probably now just obsessing and getting all stressed about it.

You are just making sure you end up with a good job, which you are paying for!

7 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We like the guy but he did reply and say no its not our job!

That’s good 👍

9 hours ago, Kelvin said:

If it’s oil  then it’s easy to tell. Just pour a tiny amount of water on it. The water will be repelled by the oil compared to the non stained pavers. If you pour more on the patch you’ll likely see an oil film on the surface of the water. Oil is easy enough to remove with liquid soap or baking soda. As others have said it’s unlikely to be oil. 

I'm pleased to report it's not oil and most of the marks have gone! It must just have been water or bricks taking longer to dry. I think we just got ourselves a bit worked up! So just the batch issues to resolve and a chipped edging brick and hopefully we are on the way to getting complete!

12 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I'm pleased to report it's not oil and most of the marks have gone! It must just have been water or bricks taking longer to dry. I think we just got ourselves a bit worked up! So just the batch issues to resolve and a chipped edging brick and hopefully we are on the way to getting complete!

Good stuff. Hard work this isn’t it. 😂 

• Like 2

Apunsa like you've got a good builder, fair play to you both trying to resolve.

As for why he didn't spot it.... Damp bricks in a pallet would change the colour strongly.... They could have just put the colour variation down to dampness.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

There is none of the same batch... the whole lot is coming up and the builders merchant is sorting out another order of them all from one batch and taking the others back. I understand they are compensating the builder..... 

Great news.

It would be worth naming your location and the name of the builder and merchant if you are comfortable doing so. Always good to have the names of firms that respond in this sort of way and do the right thing where needed.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

Great news.

It would be worth naming your location and the name of the builder and merchant if you are comfortable doing so. Always good to have the names of firms that respond in this sort of way and do the right thing where needed.

Huws Grey Whitchurch, Shropshire (the builder said he spends a lot of money with them)! They probably want to keep him happy.

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Like 2