Recommendations for top of Stone cladding

When you say "go onto of stone cladding", is a typing disguising what you mean?

Coiuld you clarify - is it "go on top of", and if you mean that do you mean go above it to throw the water away from the wall and from seeping behind the cladding (like a flashing), or do you mean a coating to go on the surface of the stone cladding such as a transparent sealant?

Is the cladding a legacy, or have you had it put there?

Cheers

F

11 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

When you say "go onto of stone cladding", is a typing disguising what you mean?

Coiuld you clarify - is it "go on top of", and if you mean that do you mean go above it to throw the water away from the wall and from seeping behind the cladding (like a flashing), or do you mean a coating to go on the surface of the stone cladding such as a transparent sealant?

Is the cladding a legacy, or have you had it put there?

Cheers

F

go above it to throw the water away from the wall and from seeping behind the cladding (like a flashing),

• Like 1

On 13/05/2024 at 08:47, GrantMcscott said:

go above it to throw the water away from the wall and from seeping behind the cladding (like a flashing),

OK. Answering your question, and a couple of adjacent thoughts. I do not know what is in front of the photo, or to the sides (relevant later), nor what storey it is on, nor what "appearance" constraints you are under.

For covering the join, as you ask, lead flashing could do it, as could a lead flashing alternative such as Ubiflex. Done properly, ie mortared 40-50mm in to a ground out joint above, either should give you 20+ years with little trouble. I do not think that something like flashband is suitable, which is a mistake some make. Ubliflex or similar is less flexible than lead, but can be shaped.

I have used Ubiflex to flash in a lean-to conservatory roof, which has not been in place for nearly a decade - with no problems of which I am aware.

One problem may be attaching it to the very not-flat stone cladding.

One downside of something more or less following the face of the wall is that you may get staining depending on how the water drains / flows and whether it will still run down the front of the cladding. And we are assuming that the stone cladding cannot be penetrated by water running down it.

An alternative is to build your stone-cladding protector a little away from the wall to throw the water off more thoroughly. That could be your Ubiflex which may be rigid enough to stick out mounted on a batten. Or you could take a different idea and build out a mini roof to put container plants under, or for parking bikes, or even build out a veranda with a table or bench underneath. That would keep the water off the cladding.

Potentially if the design matches you could use corrugated steel of various colours or designs as your stick-out small roof.

Or you could go the other way, and make it simpler. Personally I don't like stone cladding so I might be inclined to chip it all off and render the entire wall. Apologies if that is stone cladding you put on !

That's a few thoughts, including I hope addressing your actual question from a couple of angles.

Ferdinand

Can you build it out and render so the render sits proud of the cladding? It would need to curve down & out, but would look 'clean' from ground level. Flashing, lead etc could look a bodge IMO. Just the colour contrast.