Jump to content

Saving on bulk orders of sheet materials


Recommended Posts

Just wondering if anyone has made a saving on a bulk order of plywood/osb?

I need ~100 sheets so imagine there should be a saving to made if I shop around.

Its so expensive wondering if anyone had any success in making a saving procuring sheet material from alternative sources to BM's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Annker said:

Just wondering if anyone has made a saving on a bulk order of plywood/osb?

I need ~100 sheets so imagine there should be a saving to made if I shop around.

Its so expensive wondering if anyone had any success in making a saving procuring sheet material from alternative sources to BM's?

 

I have always found timber merchants better value than builders merchants for sheet materials and of course timber. Best thing to do is write a full materials list and then get on the phone to local timber merchants to see what you can get. IIRC I saved about 5k doing this on my first materials list and then got continued great prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every couple of week I pass International Plywood near Gloucester (I am on the M5).

I often wonder if they are as good as International Rescue (a 60's puppet show).

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SimonD said:

timber merchants better value than builders merchants 

Because they are buying it from a timber merchant.

The very best price Is when you buy a complete pallet or bundle. They are not having to handle it at the depot. It is a 'thing' which they buy off the ship  and take straight to your site.

BUT, it's a lot of stuff.

Once when I asked for a quote for 2x2, 400 lengths of 6m, the merchant was even aurprised how low the price went.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

The very best price Is when you buy a complete pallet or bundle. They are not having to handle it at the depot. It is a 'thing' which they buy off the ship  and take straight to your site.

 

That's a good point. I did the same with all my CLS and plywood. All my 38 x 140 CLS was ordered as a pallet, delivered to a pressure treatment plant, then picked up from there by my merchant and delivered to my door. It was still 'wet' from treatment but wrapped in the manufacturer's plastic. With all the plywood, I got still banded pallets on the delivery truck which I lifted off with the telehandler straight into the house.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

buy a complete pallet or bundle

I presume the same applies for plasterboard (guess what one of my next big purchases will be)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response, I dont seem to get any notification of responses, not even the bell icon above.

 

Anyway I provided my local merchant with my timber list for the project. I'm not sure should I call them a TM who also stocks building materials or a BM who specialises in timber.

 

Their online trade price for 18mm b/bb CE2+ hardwood ply is an eye watering £52/sheet, hence me starting this thread.

However, when presented with my timber list (value ~£4k of timber) they can supply the ply at £36/sheet. I need ~40 sheets of ply,

They are a good yard and competitive with sawn timber so I'm happy at that price.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/05/2024 at 22:54, Annker said:

I dont seem to get any notification of responses

A subtle (or crazy) feature of the forum - you have to "follow" you're own posts 

Admins - is there a way to setup "auto follow own posts"?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

A subtle (or crazy) feature of the forum - you have to "follow" you're own posts 

Admins - is there a way to setup "auto follow own posts"?

At the top of the page click on your forum name - choose Manage Followed Content - click the appropriate button 🙂 

 

image.png.2d98f2b0f747529aa3ff67062c071d9c.png

Edited by BotusBuild
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/05/2024 at 09:41, BotusBuild said:

At the top of the page click on your forum name - choose Manage Followed Content - click the appropriate button 🙂 

 

image.png.2d98f2b0f747529aa3ff67062c071d9c.png

Great, thanks for the tip!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/05/2024 at 09:41, BotusBuild said:

At the top of the page click on your forum name - choose Manage Followed Content - click the appropriate button 🙂 

 

I don't know whether it appears differently on other devices or platforms, but for me on a Mac, it's in Account Settings. Try https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/notifications/options/ and you'll find the settings there in the "Followed Content" section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...