Manhole can't be opened after polished concrete finish

scnb

Hello,

I had my outdoor terrace done in polished concrete. The manholes urgently need to be opened, but can't even be opened by a professional surveyor, who says he needs to get his fingers under the handle, but are filled in with concrete. He also tried suction cups. Does anyone have any ideas? Trying to get the polished concrete company to take responsibility, but they'd been paid 6 months ago, so good luck to me.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-08 at 16.18.38 (3).jpeg

Ah, lots of fun. Brings back memories.

Normally you'd whack all the way round with a lump or sledge hammer, but in that case you crack the concrete. Have you tried to clear out the gap between the frame and lid? Will take a bit of time and persuasion. If all else fails, one of these will lift it.

https://lifting365.com/products/hydraulic-manhole-cover-lifter-with-spreader-bars-mustang?variant=40497179132070&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google%2Bshopping&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6PGxBhCVARIsAIumnWYZk67PI3RO3Qf3DVGw91nh1oSYqWchEBWoXzQeJlIt2eI_IIxdE3saAq-nEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Your going to have to gently tap around the edge for an hour Then start hitting it with slump hammer 

No other way 

• Like 1

they look same as our recessed covers, those plastic bits slide off and expose the handle underneath. I did snap this cover on one before we installed as it was soo tight. try knocking it off with a chisel to expos the handle. can allways dab it back on with a bit of silicone after

image.thumb.png.69fbb9c751abc478ec03d1a0b40f536e.png

• Like 1