Extending a semi

I’m planning on buying a semi and building a new property on the side (making a small terrace).

has anyone done this before? Maybe some photos?

anyone got any advice/ suggestions?

the house I’m buying needs work so I’ll probably do a small rear extension on that at the same time. 

thanks In advance.

38 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Are there any terraces in the locality? How wide is the plot? Would it meet the technical spacing standards?

Not many no, it’s mainly an area of 1950’s semi’s. A lot have had side extensions. 
I could “just about” squeeze a detached in (there is one opposite), but a semi is more comfortable. Would still leave space for a a garage on the side. Back gardens would be small, probably around 50% of plot. (75% including frontage at a guess).

Posted (edited)

It doesn’t initially sound feasible. Council’s are not that favourable on being able to squeeze in an additional residential unit. Especially if it disrupts the general pattern and style of the area.

In terms of the size, a 2-storey dwelling would need to provide an internal area of at least 58sq.m. Is that even achievable?

Edited by DevilDamo

Yes there’s lot of room. It will basically be the same size as the new “mid-Terrace”. 1000sqf, 91 sqm. Plus garage.

It’s also the end unit in the road, hence the large side plot, so not imo a big impact on the street scene.

Map view shows plot, includes land in dashed area.

photo show’s house in next road which has done what I want to do. (main road) house I’m looking at is in a quiet corner.

BDF01C0E-6389-4A0E-B233-C17A58EDC0D3.jpeg

49F571C8-E384-4604-B5DE-93FAB05D3235.jpeg

On 03/05/2024 at 20:33, Bluebaron said:

“just about” squeeze a detached in ... but a semi is more comfortable

Purely from a value perspective, even if similarly sized a new detached and the existing semi will carry quite a premium versus an end of terrace and a mid terrace (which is what the property you're buying will become). You may also find more pushback from your adjoining neighbour to the idea that their own home will be turned from a semi into an end of terrace.

Perhaps get pre-app advice on whether planners prefer the detached option or the terracing.

Which do you plan to live in?

Posted (edited)

Yes I’ll certainly look into that.

i’m not relishing the prospect of removing three large mature oak trees.

If I can get the sellers to do it before completion, or at least agree a reduction in price based on the subsidence report, all the better.

linked to this post. 

Edited by Bluebaron