Lawn edge recommendations (Core Edge / Everedge)

Has anyone used either Core LP Edge or Everedge lawn edging? Which brand did you go with and did it work well? The worst I can think is that the ride on mower  might run over the edge from time to time. They sell thicker 2.5mm stuff but this looks to be designed more for larger vehicles and gets expensive quick. 

We are looking at the basic domestic stuff 1.6mm thick, Cor-ten finish and would be using it to edge (yet to be formed) gravel paths. I'm guessing 100mm height would be plenty.  

14 hours ago, Space Race said:

Has anyone used either Core LP Edge or Everedge lawn edging?

I used Everedge Halestem at our last place and found it very strong and easy to use. I used the deep one for the driveway and low one for the footpaths. It was expensive though.

We were going to use Core Edge for a gravel path. The anthracite RAL7016 stuff arrived and out of the 4 boxes the two boxes we opened were all damaged (scratches on top edge, paint worn off, dents etc). In the end they collected the two unopened boxes and left us the 2 we had opened to dispose of. 

We have messed around with thr damaged pieces to see if we can make use of it where it isn't really seen but haven't used it. For curves I think it works better than for straight edges and the corten may be better than the powder coated ral stuff. In the end we used sleepers which was far cheaper and seemed to work better with our straight edges (there are some plants and grasses planted within the path).

20240501_100441.thumb.jpg.b7a87a1de85abb386c1557faf7da20a0.jpg

8 hours ago, Gone West said:

I used Everedge Halestem at our last place and found it very strong and easy to use. I used the deep one for the driveway and low one for the footpaths. It was expensive though.

Thanks, Had a look at the Halestem which they list as commercial. Its 2mm thick and sold in longer lengths with flexible or rigid options. I'm hoping the 1.6mm version will be more than adequate for our needs because yea, It's pricey stuff. I'm looking at it as should offer a tidy edge and not need replacing anytime soon.  

7 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We were going to use Core Edge for a gravel path. The anthracite RAL7016 stuff arrived and out of the 4 boxes the two boxes we opened were all damaged (scratches on top edge, paint worn off, dents etc). In the end they collected the two unopened boxes and left us the 2 we had opened to dispose of. 

We have messed around with thr damaged pieces to see if we can make use of it where it isn't really seen but haven't used it. For curves I think it works better than for straight edges and the corten may be better than the powder coated ral stuff. In the end we used sleepers which was far cheaper and seemed to work better with our straight edges (there are some plants and grasses planted within the path).

20240501_100441.thumb.jpg.b7a87a1de85abb386c1557faf7da20a0.jpg

Looks lovely! Yes can imagine the powder coated stuff taking a bashing and soon looking tatty. I noticed the local National Trust property used the cor-ten finish and seemed to work well. Sadly no gardeners around to ask. I'd weighed up using timber but we've so much of the stuff already around the garden I'm looking for less rather than more to maintain. I feel it will be easier to get the level of the core/ever edge set right so we can mow right over the top.  Who did you order from and did you choose to keep those two boxes or did they refuse to take back?

20 hours ago, Space Race said:

Looks lovely! Yes can imagine the powder coated stuff taking a bashing and soon looking tatty. I noticed the local National Trust property used the cor-ten finish and seemed to work well. Sadly no gardeners around to ask. I'd weighed up using timber but we've so much of the stuff already around the garden I'm looking for less rather than more to maintain. I feel it will be easier to get the level of the core/ever edge set right so we can mow right over the top.  Who did you order from and did you choose to keep those two boxes or did they refuse to take back?

It was Ideal Garden and they offered some Blue Light Discount too. They took back the 2 boxes of unopened ones and they said we could keep the 2 boxes we had opened which were damaged (sent in proof).

I'd design out all edging so the mover can cut right to the edge. Unless you like using a strimmer.

On 02/05/2024 at 23:13, Temp said:

I'd design out all edging so the mover can cut right to the edge.

Me too. Or use bricks set below the level of the lawn. And I'd invest in a robot mower...

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 13:46, twice round the block said:

You may get a better deal by contacting some local steel stockholders.

If it was just a case of buying the plate cor-ten and having them cut it to length I’d agree 100%. They’d need to weld pins to the plate though, Otherwise I’m thumping long lengths of deeper plate into the ground. They’d also need to weld lugs on so I could join each length. Between the time/labour fee and the fact it would probably be an inferior design when all said and done, I’ll stick with the edging stuff.

On 02/05/2024 at 14:33, canalsiderenovation said:

If you want a 5% discount with Ideal Garden this is the code they gave me

idealfive

Thanks for the code and info, Good to know they did the right thing by you. We’ve quite a bit to do so I’m still working out final meterage and not settled on the thinner or thicker trade stuff. If the mower bent it out of shape I’d be annoyed.

On 03/05/2024 at 22:53, Mike said:

Me too. Or use bricks set below the level of the lawn. And I'd invest in a robot mower...

Yes the plan is to sink it so top of edging is just under the lowest cut on the mower deck so It can be mown over.

No robot mower, Ride on