Self funding a new build. Should I have a warrantie?

Looking to demolish and rebuild. We will have a main contractor doing most of the work, plus a TF company to do their bit. It will be funded from our own resources.

It seems to me that in this situation we do not need a warrantie. Is there any need or advantage in having one?

Well I didnt have one as never intended to sell within 10 years but life got in the way and had to sell and I got a retrospective warranty fir cheaper than a build warranty 🤷‍♂️ but not all mortgage companies accept them.

44 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well I didnt have one as never intended to sell within 10 years but life got in the way and had to sell and I got a retrospective warranty fir cheaper than a build warranty 🤷‍♂️ but not all mortgage companies accept them.

Exactly 

No such thing as a forever home 

Unless your on grand designs 😁

My friend was finishing his as we started ours He’d be carried out feet first he kept saying He had sold by the time we finished ours 

Only tangible benefit for you is for someone who may wish to buy your house within the next 10 yrs. 

without a warranty or architects certificate they won’t be able to get a mortgage.  Irrelevant after 10 years.

11 minutes ago, Bozza said:

without a warranty or architects certificate they won’t be able to get a mortgage.

As I said above not all banks will give a mortgage but my buyer did with a retro warranty.

• 1 month later...

I also think if you are going self build and claim CIL tax relief for a  self build you need to have a valid warranty in place to complete form 7 pt 2 to make sure they don’t come after you for the full payment 

9 hours ago, Nic said:

I also think if you are going self build and claim CIL tax relief for a  self build you need to have a valid warranty in place to complete form 7 pt 2 to make sure they don’t come after you for the full payment 

You can submit an approved VAT reclaim or proof of a self build mortgage instead - I made sure to check this as I don't have a warranty.

On 28/04/2024 at 09:56, Norbert said:

seems to me that in this situation we do not need a warrantie.

I was in the same position and never got a warranty. Really couldn't see the point of paying out a couple of grand, to line someone's pockets for not added benefit for me.

We didn't get a warranty, tho the basement tanking, flat roof and actual roof structure have their own manufacturers warranties. 

And we were able to get a mortgage OK with and no warranty or other documentation. Just very few lenders on the market have lax criteria like that. Three in fact.