Hi all.. DIY enthusiast and worm can opener!

Hi all, 

As the title suggests, I'm a DIY enthusiast and have worked on every house I ever owned and discovered life is just one huge learning curve! 

There's never a better afternoon spent than with a hammer and chisel (a wall that needs to not be there), some decent music and a cold cider to quench a dusty thirst! 😂

I've been reading (and reading) this forum about solid walls and the thorny topic of insulation 🤯😳. Never did I ever think such a simple sounding proposition would be such a biblically huge can of damp worms!

Having done 2 things I've never done before:

1. Buy a house at auction

2. Buy a solid walled house with no cavity. 

I've now realised that it's not going to be the sailing off into the sunset cider glass aloft that I thought it was! 😂

Heading over to the other bit of the forum shortly to see if you knowledgeable peoples think I've made a big booboo or not. 

• Like 2

Hi, we have all been there, I knew absolutely nothing when i bought my first house, it was so bad only the local council would give me a mortgage (to save it from falling down). Roll on 65 years and 6 houses later, I built (with help from a main contractor) my own passive esc house. This forum has been invaluable to me with my build and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking. No one here is selling anything and will give first hand real world knowledge.   Welcome to the mad house…… 

• Like 1

Thanks Joe90 and LSB, 

Its nice to feel welcome 🤗.

I'd love to build my own house - it must be a great experience!  Maybe that will be a scenario for the future ya never know. ☺️ 

Don't think I've ever bought a house I wasn't eager to get my teeth into and turn around, but your first house sounds like it was quite the hair raiser! 😂 

19 minutes ago, DeeDeeRmoan said:

but your first house sounds like it was quite the hair raiser! 😂 

Let’s just say a  condition the council put on giving me a mortgage was they fumigated it and left it for two weeks before I was allowed to move in and I lived in a tent for the first two months as dead bugs were falling out of the cracks in the ceiling .🙄

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2024 at 17:07, Redbeard said:

You didn't ever have an MZ motorcycle that you were dissatisfied with, or a grouse with the former East Germany, did you? Your user name might suggest it!

😂 No...it sounded vaguely funnily like Dee Dee Ramone but with a little DIY moan mixed in. I must be being a bit dim also because I'm not sure what you're referencing? I'm aware of MZ bikes and the former East Germany but it's like one of those questions on the 1% Club where your brain just won't make the connection! 😂

On 27/04/2024 at 17:05, joe90 said:

Let’s just say a  condition the council put on giving me a mortgage was they fumigated it and left it for two weeks before I was allowed to move in and I lived in a tent for the first two months as dead bugs were falling out of the cracks in the ceiling .🙄

😂 I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing but that's pretty dire! 🤣 

Sounds like a hazmat suit would have been the most appropriate wear for a month or 2!  

Reminds me of a house I bought in the late 90s. The old lady was moving to South Africa to live with family but she left a huge animal skin fur rug in the living room when she left the house. We went to view it just before completion and were absolutely swarmed by thousands of fleas!! 🤢😵 They were everywhere..my son had rolled about on the floor not realising and was covered in them. Needless to say we insisted it was fumigated before the sale went through! 😆

12 hours ago, DeeDeeRmoan said:
On 27/04/2024 at 17:07, Redbeard said:

You didn't ever have an MZ motorcycle that you were dissatisfied with, or a grouse with the former East Germany, did you? Your user name might suggest it!

😂 No...it sounded vaguely funnily like Dee Dee Ramone but with a little DIY moan mixed in. I must be being a bit dim also because I'm not sure what you're referencing? I'm aware of MZ bikes and the former East Germany but it's like one of those questions on the 1% Club where your brain just won't make the connection! 😂

Sorry, a bit tortuous, but the former East Germany was the 'DDR' (Deutsche Demokratische Republik), so a 'DDR moan' might be a grouse about that former country. I obviously lived too long with MZs (11 of them IIRC!)

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Sorry, a bit tortuous, but the former East Germany was the 'DDR' (Deutsche Demokratische Republik), so a 'DDR moan' might be a grouse about that former country. I obviously lived too long with MZs (11 of them IIRC!)

(expletive deleted) me this is turning into Round Britain Quiz.

• Haha 1