VAT reclaim carpet vs hard flooring

I see here that you cannot claim VAT relief for carpet - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-refunds-for-new-builds-if-youre-a-diy-housebuilder#goods-you-can-or-cannot-claim-for

Can you claim back the VAT on hard flooring though, such as solid wood floor or tiles?

I am currently going through a debate with my husband if we have solid flooring throughout the whole house- I want carpets in bedrooms and he does not. I think if you have to pay VAT on carpet and not on hard flooring then this might support his argument and not mine?!

37 minutes ago, SarahG said:

I see here that you cannot claim VAT relief for carpet - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-refunds-for-new-builds-if-youre-a-diy-housebuilder#goods-you-can-or-cannot-claim-for

Can you claim back the VAT on hard flooring though, such as solid wood floor or tiles?

I am currently going through a debate with my husband if we have solid flooring throughout the whole house- I want carpets in bedrooms and he does not. I think if you have to pay VAT on carpet and not on hard flooring then this might support his argument and not mine?!

UFH and carpet is rubbish combi, other than that it's what suits your style and the house. If it is or isn't vat free, isn't really relevant.

@Conor - Depends on the carpet you go for! He wants this expensive sisal stuff. Although I wouldn't put that in kids bedrooms.

@JohnMo why is UFH and carpet rubbish? We will have UFH downstairs only but I wanted carpet in playroom and study. Upstairs won't be UFH so guess it doesn't matter then.

My issue with hard flooring also is you then have to spend a fortune on rugs to make it actually feel nice and homely. Also will it be more noisy with hard than carpet?

1 hour ago, SarahG said:

@JohnMo why is UFH and carpet rubbish? We will have UFH downstairs only but I wanted carpet in playroom and study. Upstairs won't be UFH so guess it doesn't matter then.

Even the best carpet underlay combination is an insulator and requires the UFH to be run hotter that it would otherwise need.

1 hour ago, SarahG said:

He wants this expensive sisal stuff.

My sister had that for many years, hard waring but awful to walk on if you don't like slippers.

1 hour ago, SarahG said:

Also will it be more noisy with hard than carpet?

If glued down to a hard floor (screed or concrete) it's almost silent, especially in bare feet.

We have Tiles fully downstairs [light stone Coloured - Limestone coloured mortar] [Ar$e to keep clean - should have gone with grey like everyone else].

Tiles in bathrooms, Engineered wood in the bedrooms, with small sheepskin rugs. Runner carpet on the stairs [did not want to go flying after slipping] with carpet on the landing.

Definitely more echoey with hard floors, especially with the trend of hard window coverings, maybe something to consider if you have kids.

45 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Even the best carpet underlay combination is an insulator and requires the UFH to be run hotter that it would otherwise need.

Good that makes sense- ok so maybe I am in agreement in having hard flooring downstairs due to the UFH. I can perhaps afford a couple of rugs.

46 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

My sister had that for many years, hard waring but awful to walk on if you don't like slippers.

This is my exact memory of sisal, defeats the object of a nice soft carpet. Maybe we can agree on a wool loop pile or similar for bedrooms only.

7 minutes ago, Blooda said:

We have Tiles fully downstairs [light stone Coloured - Limestone coloured mortar] [Ar$e to keep clean - should have gone with grey like everyone else].

Oh really- I wanted light stone coloured tiles for the downstairs too. Definitely like the idea of carpet runner on stairs. Now my head is spinning with too many flooring options!

To answer your original question, yes you can reclaim VAT on flooring with the exception of carpet and carpet tiles. 

Be aware that if you’re having it installed then the installation should be zero rated rather than reclaiming. 

• Thanks 1