Supporting firewood with steel cables

This ismy shed:

IMG_8027.thumb.jpeg.02a4478a8c8394c6d5b083f1e86062bc.jpeg

I would like to stack more firewood under the overhang of the roof (projects 60cm past the shed walls). But to do that, I need to erect a support as otherwise the wood piles collapse.

I was thinking of anchoring some steel cables to the ground, and running 5 or so cables, 10cm apart up vertically, from floor anchors to the overhang, where I would fasten them to the underside of the overhanging roof. I would do this either side of the area that currently has wood stacked up, so as to give that area “side supports”.  In this way I make a highly breathable side support that is also aesthetically minimalist, and will virtually be invisible from our house.

Can anyone foresee any issues with this?

1) What thickness cable do I need?

2) How do I anchor it to the ground (it’s just pebbles in the plastic shed base trays, sitting on 20cm or so of compacted MOT scalping.

3) how do I fasten it neatly to the underside of the overhanging roof (made of pine I believe - so strong but certainly not hardwood strong)?

Edited by Adsibob

I've seen people build 'modular' storage from pallets that look pleasing to the eye. 

4 boxes that stack on top of each other, self supporting, they distribute the weight as they act like shelving