Hi all.

We need another bedroom for child number 3. The loft seems the obvious option, but can it be done? I know that it won’t be huge, but as a kids room, I’d like to know your thoughts!

Width: 4.9m from inside of wall plate to inside of wall plate.

length 8.2m from block gable to block gable

so far so good I hear you say.

height 2.27m from top of floor/ceiling joists to underside of rafters. 

This is where it gets tricky.

we can get stairs to come up pretty much exactly in the middle of the plan without significantly impacting what’s below. Happy to add a pitched dormer or two or three (we need planing anyway).

what do you think?

thanks!

IMG_0339.jpeg

Just about anything is doable but, as you have trussed rafters there is a lot of work and steelwork to add in order to open up the space. Look at Telebeam and similar systems. Also some good vids on YouTube.

one in progress:

IMG_4056.jpeg.8efb2e3d083a3cf72c54504790c70818.jpeg

Edited by markc

12 minutes ago, markc said:

Just about anything is doable but, as you have trussed rafters there is a lot of work and steelwork to add in order to open up the space. Look at Telebeam and similar systems. Also some good vids on YouTube.

one in progress:

IMG_4056.jpeg.8efb2e3d083a3cf72c54504790c70818.jpeg

Looks good, I’ll have a google/youtube search.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am sure it is doable, but strongly suspect with those rafters it is roof completely off and start again so may not be cost effective.

Not even with double joisting etc? We’ve prob got a budget of about 50k for it. Hopefully less thought! 

54 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Glulam perlins or floor/ceiling joists?

Perlins (in my previous jobs) but Depends on any walls supporting the ceiling/trusses as to what you can do. Any chance of a sectional drawing of the loft and walls below?. With regard limited height I installed flooring joists in between existing ceiling joists packed 20mm above the ceiling height to disconnect the floor/ceiling (noise buffer).