Building new build on coal mine post subsidence

Then was one of the property programs think GD Where a couple did exactly this and paid for the underground shafts to be grouted 

Too many variables to say - is it shallow mine workings, a shaft, has it been treated, is the surrounding area made ground.

You might be able to get some advice from the Coal Authority as I've always found them to be helpful.

As @George  too many variables.

Living in a mining area.

We viewed a house with a capped off bell pit in the garden that was inspected by the coal authority.  Advised by the building society they would not favourable on lending as it was a certain it was there, but not how big it was. 

Our second house, developer built in 1998, on land that had been surface strip mined of clay in the 1940's and top of under ground coal workings.  The estate had random bits of "amenity land" left landscaped,  where there were known vent shafts. Also left where they did not know what was was below,  [old underground maps for coal workings do not necessarily line up precisely to what is at ground level]      The houses were built on reinforced raft foundations.  In simple terms [thats me :) ] is there is subsidence ,the whole house will shift, without breaking it's back, and you get Roger Bullivant [other companies are available] to jack the house back into position and stabilise.  -  A an excess [£1000 ?] is added to house insurance for subsidence].  House is still standing 26 years later.  Vertical and no cracks.

My mate self built a house just down the road from the place in the photo in this village, in the 90's

The day the earth caught fire underneath a Leicestershire village - Leicestershire Live (leicestermercury.co.uk)

(Sorry about the amount of Ads on the page.)

The BCO came to view the [deep] foundations, she said something like, "These are ok now, as we are down to natural" my mate had to correct her telling her there was a 50ft deep excavation there 10 years ago, so they are no where near "natural".

Same place now [see below] with builds on the place with the digger.

Not really answered your question, but puts some context into what can be done. 

image.thumb.png.13120e9a9e053fcdcd28dd67262fb696.png

I live in the North Notts / Derbys coalfield.

It is possible to build on subsidence liable land - eg the entire CLASP system used for schools, public buildings and stations was designed with that in mind.

You will need to use sufficient outside advice and eg pre-purchase reports  to satisfy yourself that it is OK.

But it is certainly possible to build there without excessive extra expense - the main things will be to understand you site and choose appropriate building methods.