Mystery of consumption

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

No it isn't

W is power, not w.  But anyway, if you break down 250 W/h, you get 250 J.s-1.3600 s-1 which is 0.0964 J, or the force needed to move 10 grams, 1 metre.

Again, not, kW is power, kWh is energy.

If your weekend power was 7 kW, your energy usage would be 168 kWh.

Appreciate the pedantry - thanks

55 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

So, you can’t look at hourly data for a high demand day?

I can now, in an incomplete and unreliable way, but not for the period before I signed up for that service!

Well that’s a lot more difficult if you can’t see the detailed data - a bit like trying to diagnose a health problem without the use of blood tests, xrays etc. I think I would start by looking at the ongoing hourly data on a regular basis and see if you can see anything weird. Also switch the HP and DHW off next time you go away and observe the variation/consistency of the ‘baseload’. If the high demand was caused by an odd heating situation when the outside temperature is low (e.g. defrost weirdness, rapid cycling, strange resistance load switching itself on etc) you may not find the answer until it gets properly cold next winter. Maybe keep monthly data in a spreadsheet and calc the non-heating load and the CoP etc. Check out potential problems with your HP model on the forum for that model if there is one. If you can’t work from the data then you have to use a bit more experimentation / research / intuition / elimination / testing / comparison with similar set-ups etc.