Insulation & Air Tightness before Windows and Doors arrive?

mike2016

What are people's thoughts around installing insulation and starting air tightness BEFORE the windows and doors arrive. I plan to wait a week or two to check the roof (fully tiled) is without leaks and the walls are good - seal openings with plastic / OSB / other so I can press ahead with the inside. There is a risk things get wet but has anyone done it? Is it very weather dependant? Thoughts? Thanks. 

We did it that way. I was taking so long to line up a window company that I decided to go ahead without them and seal up the holes as best I could. The way our air tightness is done is basically to have the whole house sealed internally with Intello+ and I ran this over the roof lights as they were in because the roof was on. I left the window holes though so I had to make temp covers for them. We then pumped the cellulose fibre into the walls through the intello+. The windows are now in so all I am doing is taping round them and fitting the sub structure for the internal window boxes. I still have to seal the intello+ to the slab which is my next job. The first air tightness test should be by the end of the month but for that I will leave the roof lights covered so I don't have to worry about them.

• Like 1

I had our timber frame totally clad in OSB3 and covered with a membrane. I routed out the openings when the weather improved. It enabled us to work on the inside during the winter months.

• Like 2