Staircase Oil / Treatment

Grosey

Things are moving thick and fast at my place at the moment which is exciting. First staircase from Stairbox was dry fitted today and will be completed tomorrow. So I’m keen to get it treated and protected ASAP. 

Its a combination of solid oak and engineered oak.  I believe a hardwax oil is the best thing to use?

Screwfix do a “Liberon” Hard wax oil in Matt or Satin

or 

Osmo Polyx Clear Satin Matt

Or something else? Want a good level of protection to protect from dog feet!

Also any advice on the Matt or Satin look for Oak?

Guest Alphonsox

+1 for the OSMO, looks great and seems to last well. We used it on all the internal wood. Never come across the Screwfix stuff.

+1 Osmo polyx. Been on for 10 months and still looks great after a mop down. Suggest you get hold of their floor cleaner to avoid drying out the oils.

After we completed it I came across some website where the person had thoroughly tested a number of products for wear, finish and ease of use. In his view Osmo was not great.

Matt or satin is very much a personal thing. We went with 3032. Also might want to use their brushes, they were much better than some emulsion brushes had.

Yes that is the one we used. We needed a lot so purchased 2.5l tins much cheaper from buildersoak.co.uk

Sanding first then vacuuming and wiping is essential in my view. Osmo chap told us to sand and said to use medium grit not too fine. We did not sand between coats.

Guest Alphonsox

We found that a light sanding between coats was required. The first coat caused the grain to rise on our internal doors.

+ another 1 for Osmo polyx clear satin.  Lightly sanded before application, and deburred between coats.  Picture of our stairs after application, oak treads, pine stringers and risers.  As other have said, it's proving very hard wearing.

59d5e4f967a89_IMG_20171005_0850151.thumb.jpg.8880a2997ce60dbcc3080ed7b04dc73b.jpg

Thanks all for the advice, first coat done tonight. A bit honey-like and very wet looking currently... but then it is still wet! I love how it’s brought out the grain though, will give a light sand and another coat tomorrow night. 

B29B3A9E-869D-4BF5-B752-B4844FA89918.jpeg

48D7C079-08BA-41FE-B0DB-31CDA37030A3.jpeg

D931F40B-9463-44F9-968D-85BFA0C12FFD.jpeg

0A1EB679-79F1-48B3-B936-9126BE25803F.jpeg

329CF29C-7D54-4364-8CC3-DB8743E14202.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grosey said:

Thanks all for the advice, first coat done tonight. A bit honey-like and very wet looking currently... but then it is still wet! I love how it’s brought out the grain though, will give a light sand and another coat tomorrow night. 

B29B3A9E-869D-4BF5-B752-B4844FA89918.jpeg

Have to say @Grosey that's a lovely looking staircase. Is that a bespoke staircase or from a company? PW.

Thank you, it’s from Stairbox - I’ve made a few comments about them in various different stair threads on here, can’t remember the specific posts but a search for “Stairbox” should bring them up. 

Im very happy with them and I’ll post more photos when the second flight are up, hopefully tomorrow. 

Looking forward to getting the handrails and glass in place also. 

Looks good. Very similar to ours. We built in 2007 and used Osmo. No dogs but we have two kids and don't take any particular precautions. The very edges of the steps are only just showing some wear which might need redoing say next year but overall it's fine.