How to terminate underground insulated pipe at the connection to the heat pump outside?

Hi I'm thinking about using a 32mm duo pre insulated pipe to bring my flow and returns into the house by coming through the insulated slab. To anyone who has done this how did you detail connection between the insulated pipe and the heat pump. The heat pump needs to sit something like 200mm from the wall that doesn't leave a lot of space to bring the pipe up vertically. The pipe connections are at the back of the heat pump too which leaves even less space. I could move the heat pump further away from the house to give more space?

Get flexi hoses with right angles to connect to heat pump and to pipes, making sure pipes are coming out the ground sufficiently far away from ASHP connection to allow for flexi tails.

We talked about it a little in this thread. 

This is @HughF install. He has a good tip about using Solar piping UV resistant tape to finish off the install. But it is expensive. https://www.bes.co.uk/high-temperature-insulation-tape-x-15-m-20220/?refSrc=42745&nosto=productpage-nosto-1-c

image.jpeg.9284057f7c71c6e5310c4ac7b7d2a5d3.jpeg

I’m just about to do this. The Primary Pro pre-made flexible pipes from Intatec are 750mm, but you can get longer ones from other suppliers. 

https://www.intatec.co.uk/product/heat-pump-hoses/

https://primary-pro.co.uk

This thread from the Ovo forum has lots of interesting pictures and advice. 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-smart-home-138/heat-pump-pipe-insulation-energy-efficiency-starts-with-the-pipes-9477

image.thumb.jpeg.063ee91dc7589c80c9319ce4d4814b09.jpeg

I’m going to use 28mm water softener flexible pipes with primary pro insulation. I need a 1” BSP connection at both ends. The water softener pipe spec limits it to 65° water temp. I will cut the underground insulated pipe and try to get the best finish I can. I will upload some pictures when I’m done. I’m currently waiting on BES to ship the insulation. 

Note: For any one interested, I choose to hang my ASHP from the wall because it was going to be a long time before any landscaping work would be done. I did not want The ASHP concrete plinth to dictate what we ended up doing in regards to levels and access. I got the idea from on of Urban Plumbers YouTube install videos. He was very positive about wall hanging ASHPs. 

Edited by Nick Laslett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks! The reality of the install in terms of neatness does not match the clean pics on the manufacturers websites. I seen one website has the heat pump pressed hard up against the house, I assume this is impossible as the air normally is pulled in through the back of the pump and out the front. 

Brining the pipes through the wall gives the neatest install. However I would rather bring the pipes through the slab as I don’t like the idea of having a have in my wall that would be difficult to seal. I have an open rainscreen cladding so some driven rain will get in.

i think your install looks good. That’s a good point about landscaping around the heatpump. I am also not sure what my finished landscaping will look like and what the final level will be. I guess I could do a temporary base and adjust from there. 

Where did you get your pre insulated pipe from?

Edited by gavztheouch

Mine came from ingoodnic. Helpful, pretty much off the shelf. Cheaper than loco2heat who were the other option.

32+32 bonded polyurethane insulation stuff. I used 32mm pex press adapters on one end and the compression bsp adapters on the other.

IMG_3634.jpeg