Rust on render

Hi,

Hoping someone can help us out here with some advice/expertise!

We are at such a loss of what needs to be done to fix this problem, we've been told by some people that we need to remove the beads and replace them and then replaster over and paint the whole house and some have told us the whole house needs the render removed and restarted (obviously very expensive!). 

Our house is about eight years old (small developer, no NHBC certificate, just an architects certificate that doesn't help us) but we have significant damage to the render. The builders are refusing to help and have told us it isn't their issue. 

We obviously have the rust issue but also the paintwork is damaged as well.

Is anyone able to offer any advice about what needs to be done? When we bought the house four years ago the damage has been painted over so this wasn't an expense we were expecting to have to pay out for! We'd be extremely grateful, thank you so much for reading.

Screenshot_2024-02-15-21-17-44-979_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_071724.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_071702.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_071709.jpg

• Sad 1

@nod would be able to give much for info and detail but yes, the beads are rotten and need replacing, loose paint looks like water behind so the loose stuff needs scraping off to allow drying/see what’s going on.

Looks like a truly shoddy job! Are you in a very exposed location which might make it deteriorate quicker?

Ultimate solution would be replace the render and beading. However I would try to repair first. Scrape paint and stains from the beads, apply a rust inhibitor and cover with several coats of oil based sealer paint.

The right way to do it is to rip it all off and start again. Definitely defective materials and/or workmanship so I'm hoping there is an avenue for you to claim off the developer or insurance.

What condition is the render in? Hard, or powdery and will hollow "bubbles"? When was it last painted? I think I see some effervescence? If the rest of it is sound, you could get away with cutting out the beads and redoing those areas. But you'll always see the joints between old and new render.

Again, Nod will be along with a professional opinion.

They have obviously used galvanized angle beads instead of plastic or stainless The easiest solution would be to knock the beads off and add a cement band around each window 

At least it won’t look like a patch up job 

NHBC won’t be interested 

They will I’ll put it down to bad workmanship 

Edited by nod
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the time taken to reply. Unfortunately insurance won't touch it because they say just poor workmanship. It's going to be coming out of our pocket. We can't afford to rip it all off so sounds like the removing beads will be the best way to go. 

It hasn't been painted in the eight years it's been up. Majority of the paintwork is fine but just the odd bubble and if you press it, it just flakes away. Not in a particularly exposed location either. 

Angle bead only goes back 50mm max from the corners.

If you get someone that's careful with an angle grinder and can cut straight lines it would be easy to remove.

As @nod said put a cement band around the door and window recesses when removed.

Scrape the loose paint off the render, let it dry and treat with a sealer primer.

You do not have to remove all the render just the area's where the angle beads are that are rusting.

I may be misunderstanding the pics but pics 1 and 4 seem to indicate some 'local issues' more than just the beads. If it were me I would perhaps be allowing in my costings for getting the suspect areas (in particular pic 1 by the door) chopped out and re-rendered as well as the beads. As @nod suggests, use plastic or stainless beads.

4 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I may be misunderstanding the pics but pics 1 and 4 seem to indicate some 'local issues' more than just the beads. If it were me I would perhaps be allowing in my costings for getting the suspect areas (in particular pic 1 by the door) chopped out and re-rendered as well as the beads. As @nod suggests, use plastic or stainless beads.

Great, thanks. We did think we might need to get the front of the house re- rendered totally around the front door where it's really bad. Appreciate the reply.