2 minutes ago, NailBiter said:

Starlink kicks arse and it is improving all the time. The latency is still quite high but they are targeting sub 20ms which would be great if they achieve it.

Starlink is lower in orbit so the latency really isn't that bad. My lad, an avid gamer, reckons it's fine for gaming that's why he went for it. Worst he's noted is 41ms. Usually much lower. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Starlink is lower in orbit so the latency really isn't that bad. My lad, an avid gamer, reckons it's fine for gaming that's why he went for it. Worst he's noted is 41ms. Usually much lower. 

Completely agree, it isn't bad but it isn't good. It depends what you are used to. FTTP can get as low as 2ms so even at their 20ms target (which isn't far from the theoretical limit they can achieve) it will have 10x more latency than a fibre connection. Right now it is approximately 20x more.

I use both a Starlink connection (build site) and a FTTP connection regularly and you can feel the difference. You can also hose the upload bandwidth fairly quickly if you aren't careful and that degrades the performance for everyone. 

In the past we've used a shite FTTC connection for latency sensitive stuff / uplink bandwidth and Starlink for the downstream bandwidth. There are some tools that make multiplexing a connection like this easier e.g. https://www.openmptcprouter.com which also has the benefit of avoiding CGNAT. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Same experience here with Starlink, son spends his spare time playing Fortnite and Fifa, no problems with 'lagging' as he so eloquently puts it.  Latency is often between 25-40ms here in Lincs.  TBH I like it, I've already moved my legacy landline No. to a voip provider.  Openreach can come and get their crappy copper wire and FRO.

Just now, crispy_wafer said:

I've already moved my legacy landline No. to a voip provider.

Interesting, can I ask who?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Interesting, can I ask who?

Sure, Andrew’s and Arnold or A&A, their tariffs aren’t necessarily for everyone but as we don’t use the landline much apart from old family members who would ring us once in a blue moon the cheap no frills tariff works for us.  Other providers offer more features, just depends on what requirements you have.  For a phone I picked up a yealink device from eBay.

• Thanks 1