230m to tip wind turbines

1 hour ago, Andehh said:

Definitely never found the noise intrusive carrying out business around the wind farm itself.

When I first lived in Devon and living in a caravan a turbine about 2km away would wake me at night if the wind was in the right direction, I read somewhere about noise nuisance from these that it was pressure waves rather than actual noise that traveled downwind that created a nuisance, noise is measured in a different way.

59 minutes ago, joe90 said:

When I first lived in Devon and living in a caravan a turbine about 2km away would wake me at night if the wind was in the right direction, I read somewhere about noise nuisance from these that it was pressure waves rather than actual noise that traveled downwind that created a nuisance, noise is measured in a different way.

We definitely can’t hear it when in the house or if standing with the house between us and the turbines. Oddly I’m the only a person that’s heard it. My other half couldn’t even after pointing it out to her. One of my dogs isn’t keen on them. Whenever we walk up past them he woofs at them if they are spinning. Obviously not a fan of renewables  😂 

• Like 1

We have a fairly small turbine (80kw, 46m tip height) 220m from the house. It's a pretty agricultural piece of equipment. In light airs it slowly turns, about 60rpm, and makes a loud 'clunk' on each revolution. In stronger winds you can't hear it at all. It's a bit annoying since it's clearly generating no useful power in those light winds, and a simple software change would probably be enough to eliminate the noise altogether.