Kitchen electrical changes and certification

We have had a few kitchen fitters visit to price up the work needed for us to have a new kitchen installed.  Including new electrical appliances.

Our current 30 amp and 13 amp switches need moving.  And 3 new 13 amp switches are required for appliances.

Some fitters say they do all the plumbing, carpentry and electrical work themselves.  They seem to know nothing about certificates though they have been recommended by some well known kitchen brand showrooms. 

Others use an electrician for the electrics and say that a Part P certificate is needed. (This is my understanding of the Part P Wales building regs too though I have to say I know nothing about electrical circuits.) 

Am I over complicating things by thinking we need a qualified electrician for this installation work in the kitchen?  

And if a Part P certificate is needed then how come so many fitters do not know this??

Part P applies to electrical installations that operate at voltages not exceeding 1000 V a.c. Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in special locations.

The kitchen is not considered a special location if I recall correctly, and in my view you are are not adding any new circuits.

Therefore, no Part P certification is required, just care to isolate the relevant existing circuits when moving or adding sockets.

Oh dear.  This will show my complete ignorance on all matters electrical.

I thought that adding sockets in the kitchen meant "additions to existing circuits".

(See pg 11 and 12 https://www.gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2019-05/building-regulations-guidance-part-p-electrical-safety.pdf)

So given what Mr Punter and BotusBuild have advised me, the 2 different installers that said they would provide a certificate are a bit over the top and possibly not so clever after all!

I’m not in wales, but seem to remember that work in kitchens is notifiable via part p - it no longer is in England. 

That aside, why would you let a kitchen fitter mess around with your electrics? Almost every day I see the negative consequences of this. I’m sure there are a handful who are competent, but the odds won’t be favourable. 

Edited by Mattg4321
  • Like 1

So if there is a difference in the Wales regs, perhaps that explains the different responses to my query here.

Good point re whether a fitter would be competent with electrics Mattg4321.  Sounds like you are an electrcian??.... seeing negative consequences??

Thank you for your comments.

6 hours ago, KitchenPotcher said:

So if there is a difference in the Wales regs, perhaps that explains the different responses to my query here.

Good point re whether a fitter would be competent with electrics Mattg4321.  Sounds like you are an electrcian??.... seeing negative consequences??

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the part p rules are slightly different in Wales. 

Yes, I am an electrician. Seeing kitchen fitter bodges is unfortunately very common. Whoever you go with make sure you’ll be getting a certificate and part p notification afterwards. 

NICEIC or NAPIT are the only two self certifying routes for electrical contractors to notify to BC for compliance with Part P in England. I know Scotland has others. Wales may do too. 

Both of the above have a full list of members on their sites.