No eaves with clay tile roof?

I am not a fan of eaves, and am trying to understand whether I could dispense with them if you are having a clay tile roof.  If you had fascia the same colour as your windows, I think this would potentially look very slick.

The link below shows an image of what I am talking about.

https://www.archdaily.com/952573/4-solutions-for-roofs-without-eaves-and-their-construction-details/5fc7ad6263c0179a2100009b-4-solutions-for-roofs-without-eaves-and-their-construction-details-image

Edited by flanagaj

Internal gutters… omg noooo! Hiding gutters behind cladding but still outside the envelope would be ok … but a PITA for maintenance etc.

gutters will leak or overflow at some point and you def don’t want this inside your house

12 minutes ago, markc said:

Internal gutters… omg noooo! Hiding gutters behind cladding but still outside the envelope would be ok … but a PITA for maintenance etc.

gutters will leak or overflow at some point and you def don’t want this inside your house

This what I had in mind.

image.thumb.png.92e5e16b0a5bbb1f8f40bfb7e603e97f.png

@flanagaj I agree they would look very neat, it’s just the consequences of any leak. The above detail is a definite improvement as an overflow does go onto the outside but any hole, split, crack or open joint in the gutter will wet the wall without knowing about it until serious damage has been done. I suppose you could add a secondary membrane under the gutter and out onto the outside and if you saw water coming from this area then you would know there was a gutter problem. 

I supervised an EWI job for a client and, because they preferred not to extend the roof-line, we specified an 'EWI gutter', which was/is a double-depth (front-back, not top-bottom) alu gutter which forms a 'roof-ette' to the EWI and  projects as far over the new wall surface as the gutter did over the original wall-line. It looks fine but since it is made of 2 lengths I worry about the joint in the long term. The contractor just said 'it's good stuff; it'll last forever' which may be slightly optimistic. I'd have the same worries with your set-up, and more, since 'un-building' the EWI gutter would not involve stripping off some of the roof. I think yours might.

• Like 1

Just bear in mind the build cost estimates you had done probably didn’t have these details on them. 
what you have shown here will add thousands to the build cost. 
deviate from standard and add more zeros as your ideas get wilder.