Network Switch & AP's

Hi All

I am looking for purchase a 24 port POE network switch and 4 x WiFi AP's

I have been into it and found these 2 possible options, i just wondered if anyone had any good/negative experiences or any advice at all:

Ubiquiti

This equipment is just over £1000, i will have to pay to help set up it initially. Also need some form of Ubiquiti cloud controller. However reading on the forum this brand seems very popular - albeit it seems to have some users seem to experience some issues

Aruba

This equipment is half the price around £500, I don't need any cloud controller and seems a lot easier to set up

I will be using this equipment for very basic uses, 4 x AP's and then just provide a wired network connection to devices (TV's/ TV boxes etc..)
My broadband speed is around 60Mb - I am guessing its ok just to have the basic Sky router (not wi-fi max) as I will be turning the wi-fi part off?

Looking at it like that it seems like Aruba is the best option but would very much appreciate any advice on this as this is my first kind installing/using a home network of this kind?

Many Thanks

You don't necessarily need to stick to the same manufacturer, look for an unmanaged L2 POE switch, this will bring your price down a bit.  Plug it in and go.  then connect up your ap's and configure.  Unless you want to mess with segmenting.

At work I mix a bit as it's easy for me to configure and install Aruba switches, and Ubiquiti AP's.  Mainly because I cut my teeth on Cisco IOS, my new place uses HPE/Aruba so transition was relatively simple.  For home, I've got TP Link Omada based gear as they were on offer a little while back.  Cost based decision...

Access points at about 100 each is about right though, some cheaper, some more expensive.

Agree on mix and match if you are on a budget - though I do like being able to manage all my ubiquiti stuff in the one place

Ubiquiti do the Standard 24 PoE (usw-24-poe) which is a fair bit cheaper, than the pro, but it is limited to 1G SFP and only PoE+ rather 

Also keep in mind not all ports on a PoE switch always have PoE

I have almost the same shopping list - same challenges. A friend of mine, ex CISCO, said I should get a secondhand CISCO POE switch as you can get them for next to nothing, £60 buys you 48 POE ports 1Gb each at Techbuyer. Might need an expert to set it up though.

12 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I have almost the same shopping list - same challenges. A friend of mine, ex CISCO, said I should get a secondhand CISCO POE switch as you can get them for next to nothing, £60 buys you 48 POE ports 1Gb each at Techbuyer. Might need an expert to set it up though.

Just make sure you double check how the power consumpsion compares to newer models and if you will be happy with noise levels if they have fans

+1 for Ubiquiti kit and their app. For routers check that the firmware is up-to-date every quarter or so / the default passwords are changed / you don't have external management ports open.

The latter you can check with Steve Gibson's ShieldsUp web app.

PoE voltages can vary a bit (24V, 48V etc), so best to double check the correct voltage you need can be/is being provided by the switch/hub/router.

I'm a complete punter with this networking stuff but I have managed to get the following Ubiquiti stuff up and running recently -

Dreamrouter > 48 POE port switch (bought 2nd hand) > doorbell/camera/AP with a lot more to be added. Now its working its great but getting the router to work directly linked to the BT ONT took, shall we say, some patience. The Ubiquiti support for consumers is disappointly poor esp when you consider I will end up laying out a 4 figure sum on all this kit. You can't call and speak to anyone. You have to post a support ticket and then about 3 days afterwards you get a reply. To be fair the support ultimately got me sorted with the two major issues I have had to date but I'd expect a lot more for the money I am throwing at this stuff.

One thing to note - the older switch I bought is good in that it has enough wattage to power lots of POE kit but the fans make it pretty noisy - not really an issue for us as its in the utility room.