Normal or fast setting tile adhesive for (very) large format wall tiles? Also any special tools needed?

markharro

When I say large I mean 600 x 1200mm. This is for the wall; not floor. To be applied in portrait so two tiles to make up the full wall height. Also if it matters the tiles are marble and 12mm thick. I have had conflicting info on this.

Also what would be the best tile levelling/wedge system to use to get these flush? thanks

That will be interesting/challenging. I did a bathroom in travertine last year but they were only 600 x 400 in landscape/brick bond. I thought they were pretty heavy and yours will be three times heavier than mine.  Have you got data? I estimate over 25kg each? More when back buttered with adhesive.

This is what I did but its probably not the best approach for you...

I use a laser level to fix a batten to the wall at about 3/4 of a tile height. Screw it to the wall well! The exact height depends on the height of the ceiling - I aim to avoid having a narrow strip of tile at either top or bottom. Usually you have about 1/2 or 3/4 of a tile. Then I tile up from the batten. I work pretty slow so I use regular or slow adhesive and did just one row a day. Once the walls are done I do the floor. Then remove the batten on the walls and cut the bottom row of wall tiles to fit.

I think in your case I would do it differently...

I'd use a laser level to find the highest point of the floor. Then draw a line at one tile height (1.2m) above that. Then you can pack under the tiles as required to get the tops all level. Then later the floor tiles should cover any gaps at the bottom.

It was a struggle to level the stone I used because it wasn't a uniform thickness. The system I had (below) tries to level both front and back of the tile which isn't possible if they are different thicknesses. If your stone is nice and uniform thickness it probably works ok. In my case there was a lot of cursing and thumping with fists and a rubber mallet. I question if this system is strong enough to pull very large tiles in and out. More likely the plastic hoops will stretch.

tilelevelling.jpg.020b4f5438a1a88cb2a7f9db6cd88bfa.jpg

PXL_20231117_135209593.thumb.jpg.a75672393de7f897f0f319ef002bec8b.jpg

Edited by Temp

5 hours ago, Temp said:

I'd use a laser level to find the highest point of the floor. Then draw a line at one tile height (1.2m) above that. Then you can pack under the tiles as required to get the tops all level. Then later the floor tiles should cover any gaps at the bottom.

Thanks @Temp this is exactly what I had been imagining. It seemed to me that this would get the first row level without the tiles dropping and then once the adhesive cures you have the support for the second row. I was also thinking about this wedge system - Ive never used it so will need to find out more about the best type to use.

And thanks @nod this confirms my instinct.

Any other tips on any particular tips on tools for this size of tile?

That's the size we used, and the tiler used the same adhesive as the rest of the job, same for spacers etc. didn't see him do anything special. Apart from rip two of them down after we spotted the colours were different from the rest of the batch. Made his day 😂

Edited by Conor

10 hours ago, markharro said:

Thanks @Temp this is exactly what I had been imagining. It seemed to me that this would get the first row level without the tiles dropping and then once the adhesive cures you have the support for the second row. I was also thinking about this wedge system - Ive never used it so will need to find out more about the best type to use.

And thanks @nod this confirms my instinct.

Any other tips on any particular tips on tools for this size of tile?

Yep Two clamps Straight edge and a 4” grinder equipped with a porcelain Turbo blade