Managing solar diverter hot water

I've had an EDDI solar diverter installed which uses excess solar to heat my hot water tank. However I'm unsure how best to manage it. I have 2 young children so don't like the hot water to be too hot to prevent the risk of scalding. 

Is it best to heat the tank as warm as I can and then mix it down using a thermostatic mixer or heat the water to an acceptable level and just manage the excess another way?

It doesn’t change the temperature of the water, that’s set by the immersion heater thermostat that was fitted before the Eddi was installed.

it just lets you use your PV instead of buying in/importing energy

I let ours get very hot indeed and mix it down.  Normal temperature is 48 degrees controlled by the ASHP.  Immersion thermostat is set as high as it will go which seems to be just over 70 degrees.  Even then, some days the tank will max out and some PV go "to waste"

How do you normally heat your hot water?  If by the immersion heater anyway then it is hard to self use much unless you don't have the immersion heater on at all and only let the Eddi take care of it, but you risk not enough hot water on a cloudy day.

I helped a friend set up a second pre heat tank.  Once the main tank is as hot as it can get, the diverter then heats the pre heat tank.  That seems to work well as a way us using more on sunny days.

3 hours ago, Linto said:

I've had an EDDI solar diverter installed which uses excess solar to heat my hot water tank. However I'm unsure how best to manage it. I have 2 young children so don't like the hot water to be too hot to prevent the risk of scalding. 

Is it best to heat the tank as warm as I can and then mix it down using a thermostatic mixer or heat the water to an acceptable level and just manage the excess another way?

Time normal cylinder heating after you are likely to get past the excess PV period, so late afternoon, then if you haven't got the cylinder hot, your normal heating process will take over. Set your immersion at a temperature you are comfortable with.

Currently the system is 

Gad boiler to tank with immersion.

I'm running it with the boiler turned off during daylight hours as we seem to always get enough sun to heat with the immersion. Eventually we will switch to ashp but can't justify it with a properly working boiler at the moment.

Tony, thanks for that but I was meaning should I turn up the thermostat on the immersion as high as it goes to get the full benefit of the solar and then mix down using a thermostatic mixer. Or just accept that I'll be exporting the excess.