AluClad exposed internal timber frame image request

Hello everyone. 

In the process of our now third round of planning and we’re looking at aluclud windows. Idea is to have the internal frames clear lacquered to see the timber.

I’ve seen GBS windows up close and the timber is jointed in many places.

Rationel also appears to be the same as above. Many joints. 

Internorm doesn’t have joints as such but you can see where the pieces of timbers have been pressed together. Has more of a linear structure. We don’t mind this look.

I was hoping if anyone has images of the other suppliers?

Nordan

Norrsken

Allen brothers

Idealcombi

Velfac (same as Rationel?)

There’s probably more but these are companies I know of so far. I’m trying to save trips to go see all of them in person by ruling out ones that are jointed everywhere.

Thanks.

We spent a long time going round this circle, and found very few options that matched our expectations (i.e. good quality wood finish with unobtrusive joints).  I think there were some "designer" timber options from Norrsken that looked good but were very expensive.

In the end we concluded for  most suppliers the timber was simply not designed to be on show, so we went painted finish with a view to bringing in the timber-look elsewhere in the final decor using the large amount of money we'd saved!!

Edited by BadgerBadger

42 minutes ago, allthatpebbledash said:

Internorm doesn’t have joints as such but you can see where the pieces of timbers have been pressed together. Has more of a linear structure. We don’t mind this look.

Our Internorm windows have no joints on the visible surfaces, but finger joints are visible on the shut-faces, so can be seen if the windows are open. Our Solarlux SL90 Bi-fold is the same, although slightly better finished, so unnoticeable.

8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

According to @IanR, Internorm and Norrsken are worth a look.

I did like the Norrsken windows, especially the hardwood option which at the time wasn't that much more than Internorm's softwood option.

Conversely it was jointed look that drew us to clear coating them. We were in a hotel in Are in Sweden several years ago and they had very similar looking windows and my wife was smitten with that look so was an easy decision for us (well her) 

1 hour ago, IanR said:

Our Internorm windows have no joints on the visible surfaces, but finger joints are visible on the shut-faces, so can be seen if the windows are open. Our Solarlux SL90 Bi-fold is the same, although slightly better finished, so unnoticeable.

How about the lamination of the timbers put together?  If you could, can you share some images please.

1 hour ago, allthatpebbledash said:

How about the lamination of the timbers put together?  If you could, can you share some images please.

There are no visible joints on the frames. The only laminate joint visible is on the inner return of a sash:

image.png.fa4c350d38641edcfea6176412aec5f7.png

Below is on two different windows. The left hand image is the worst I could find. All others are more similar to the right image where the grain better disguises the joint.

image.thumb.png.cbce4806d449ff6ce47fe8576b1f8a5e.png   image.thumb.png.3b3b882fa97b5502d2f4defda721923e.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IanR said:

There are no visible joints on the frames. The only laminate joint visible is on the inner return of a sash:

image.png.fa4c350d38641edcfea6176412aec5f7.png

Below is on two different windows. The left hand image is the worst I could find. All others are more similar to the right image where the grain better disguises the joint.

image.thumb.png.cbce4806d449ff6ce47fe8576b1f8a5e.png   image.thumb.png.3b3b882fa97b5502d2f4defda721923e.png

Thanks for the images. The timber finish looks really nice. Suppose it’ll now come down to price once we get to that stage.