Fluorescent Tube Starting

A 36W fluorescent single sometimes fails to fire up with the neon starter light flashing, new starter and tube tried but same problem, when its working normally it fires up after a few flashes of the starter and the tube lights to full brightness quite rapidly, there is no flickering of the tube. This fluorescent is about 16 years old and is used for around 2 hours/day, supply voltage is fine at 230/236V. It also has a capacitor and a ballast.The capacitor wiring seems to be permanently attached to it so maybe not easy to renew/replace, ditto with the ballast, I havn't checked out the earth which I think is important?.

Any suggestions?.

Knackered ballast maybe.  Perhaps it has a few shorted turns due to old age and heat.  The ballast generates the high strike voltage when the starter bimetallic switch opens - if it’s a bit tired it just won’t be quite high enough.
You can often get led replacent strips now, they won’t need a ballast I expect  -   Ahhh, beaten to that comment 🙂

Does this mean I can buy a 36W T8 (or nearest) equivalent and install it in the present "housing", presume I would have to alter the wiring?, I have no problem in buying a complete replacement but its a bit awquard to install it in the same spot.

Perhaps but I would just replace the whole fitting. Modern LED fittings are slimmer and can be brighter. 

They just have two wires like a light bulb or fluorescent fitting.

Only issue is that some have a socket one end for the wiring rather than a hole on the top middle. 

Screwfix have lots in different lengths,  brightness and shade of white light. Something like this..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/reeve-slimline-twin-5ft-led-batten-40w-4000lm-220-240v/804pg

8 hours ago, John Carroll said:

Does this mean I can buy a 36W T8 (or nearest) equivalent and install it in the present "housing", presume I would have to alter the wiring?, I have no problem in buying a complete replacement but its a bit awquard to install it in the same spot.

If you get the LED tube, if just plugs in in place of the old tube and the replacement starter in place of the old starter.  No need to change the wiring.  The ballast is redundant so if that is suspect you could bypass it.

53 minutes ago, John Carroll said:

Thanks all, my wiring comes in towards the center but think overall I might be better off installing a complete new unit.

A LOT of the modern "LED Battens" are rubbish design, and as already mentioned awkward cable termination at one end.  That's why if your existing fitting is in good condition and not too tired, fitting an LED tube can be a good option.  Try hanging most of the current LED offerings on 2 lengths of jack chain for instance.  You can't.

Just finished installing a (almost) 4 ft,  36W Evolec LED Slimline with a alleged rated life of 25,000 hrs, ~ £25, no problem in hanging it as I just used the original two securing screws with the supplied brackets, you then just clip on the lightweight fixture in any almost position you require.