Tiling onto a block wall

Tony K

Afternoon all. 

I am about to prepare a bathroom for tiling. I attach a picture of the shower area which you can see is in a corner formed by an internal partition wall and an external cavity wall. 

I will use tile backer boards to complete the partition wall, and to box in the low pipes on the block wall. 

Should I be fixing tile backer boards to the face of the block wall generally, or is it OK to tile straight onto the blocks? 

My tiler is happy to tile onto the blocks if they are level but he is only responsible for the finish. I am thinking more about whether I need a continuous waterproof substrate on both walls, and whether block work provides one anyway. 

Any advice gratefully received! 

IMG20240216130541.jpg

7 minutes ago, markc said:

Nothing wrong with tiling onto blockwork but you have surface mounted pipes the tiles need to go over? Are these going to be boxed?

Yes, the lower part of the block wall will be boxed in using timber faced with tile backer boards so as to form a shelf in the shower area. 

34 minutes ago, markc said:

Nothing wrong with tiling onto blockwork but you have surface mounted pipes the tiles need to go over? Are these going to be boxed?

I have just seen a video on youtube in which care is taken to address the joins between the boards to ensure tat the substrate is waterproof. I suppose that is in case the grout fails or something.

Do you think that the combination of backer boards and block wall will be OK as a waterproof substrate?

57 minutes ago, Tony K said:

I have just seen a video on youtube in which care is taken to address the joins between the boards to ensure tat the substrate is waterproof. I suppose that is in case the grout fails or something.

Do you think that the combination of backer boards and block wall will be OK as a waterproof substrate?

Joints are the key, whether that is board to board, board to block etc. and especially corners. tanking paint and sealing tape work very well as the elasticity copes with and movement. And yes, getting the backing right is to prevent problems if - when the grout fails. It’s very easy to install a shower and do a bit of tiling but rotten plasterboard, wall studs and flooring is very common when water gets behind the tiles.

Edited by markc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markc said:

Joints are the key, whether that is board to board, board to block etc. and especially corners. tanking paint and sealing tape work very well as the elasticity copes with and movement. And yes, getting the backing right is to prevent problems if - when the grout fails. It’s very easy to install a shower and do a bit of tiling but rotten plasterboard, wall studs and flooring is very common when water gets behind the tiles.

Thanks @markc.

I have just heard back from the tech dept of STS, the manufacturers of the backer boards I have. Interestingly, they say I do not need tape, just this stuff:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Mega-Strength-PU-Adhesive---310ml/p/101132?fix&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArLyuBhA7EiwA-qo80GBaJkYaeTyYQRfKm_5FBQ3PPmZUSGkYke6J4j4W6dFpoKPXr0ZnOhoCrX4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Apparently, I use it not only to glue the boards to each other at the joins but also at the join between the boards and the block wall. They said I did not need tape, which slightly surprised me.

I do hundreds of m2 of tiling on to backer boards each year 

Never tape Simply glue with a U nozzle 

Over the past 40 years I’ve tiled lots of wet rooms 

The past five years we have been using Impey tanking kits without any issues Not the cheapest though

Edited by nod
  • Thanks 1