Groundfloor Floor plan help

Hi All,

Have had the below plans approved by my local authority but we don't quite like the size of the utility room so that we can accommodate a sink and a decent run of units. Ideally, we'd like it to be larger.

All of the rooms on the plan are what we require and are open to changing the layout completely if needed. 

Something to note is that the bathroom is a disabled access wet room and is something we need to keep. 

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

1000079422.png

Swap the kitchen over to the plant room - allowing the storage to be split to add in a pantry/larder.

Extend the partition between utility and wet room, then split the resulting area as appropriate into utility and plant room.

1000079422.png.a61a4739de048bb8d681e1e8559a893c.thumb.png.c7a41903bcaf0aa4140a432d10621b48.png

Plant room way too big.

Agree, utility too small, move the WV and take space from one of your three large rooms.

Hall is too narrow.

You've two large windows facing in to a car port?

I think other contributors have misread play room as plant room.

1.  Hallway far too narrow.   will be very dark

2.  Snug far too long and will have a dark spot

3.  Utility too small

4.  Not enough storage for shoes / coats

5.  Some windows & doors in wrong place, or too many of them.

the drawings don’t have measurements but can guesstimate some.  Looks like you have specific needs but difficult to help fully on basis of just the drawings.  Nevertheless see below sketch.

IMG_1605.jpeg

2 hours ago, dipz1110 said:

Would it work better if we swapped the location of the stairs etc to the other side where the snug is?

If you did it, with current design, it would mean it wouldn’t get natural light.  Being where it is it offers natural light into the staircase and hallway.  It appears that this is a big extension as opposed to a scratch self build ?

we are limited as to what suggestions we can make without a fuller picture of your site and your design brief.  But your original design though a big property will not feel grand nor spacious as would have a lot of dark narrow spaces.  Me feels you or your designer are thinking about trying to fit in as many big rooms , without considering flow, circulation space, light or space.  Those are the things that can make a house feel much bigger and better.  I’ve attached another idea for you - if my two suggestions don’t work for you please do say so and why.

IMG_1606.jpeg

Where do you:

Park you car.

Put your bins - so you get them out.

Put your washing line.

Put your fuel storage.

How will you get large items from the front to the back - hot tub, gazebo, obligatory motorbike, ride on lawn mower.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So to answer your questions, we already have a large enough drive to park 3/4 cars at the front of the house.

On the right hand side of the garage, to the rear of it, we have a second drive for garden access so no access issues.

@Bozza yes this is a large extension and not a self build.

Our current designer is trying to minimise costs of removing existing masonry structural walls hence is trying to keep as many of the existing walls as possible. I've attached the current floorplan on our bungalow for more context. 

Design brief was as follows:

1. Large open plan kitchen/dining room with doors leading out to the garden.

2. Snug/informal lounge area for kids.

3. Downstairs bedroom/home office

4. Disabled access bathroom.

5. Utility room.

We're quite happy with the upstairs but happy for things to move if needed. 

Let me know if you need more clarification on anything. 

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20240305-111807~2.png

Screenshot_20240305-112436~2.png