how to fix this bed?

Thorfun

we picked up a bed off the local Facebook group for free for one of our teenagers but it's broken where the side bits attach to the headboard. the wood that the bolt plate screws in to is split. here's some photos.

IMG_6010.thumb.jpeg.f32590f00bf46960234841cd94d7b807.jpeg

IMG_6011.thumb.jpeg.21b28cd2d56bb6cd1bb9e545daeaabf9.jpeg

IMG_6012.thumb.jpeg.53ad0ea6834206d03334654cc0b37448.jpeg

IMG_6013.thumb.jpeg.fb775e3f3be1c3d4addc654276be8fab.jpeg

what's the best/easiest way to fix this? I was wondering if there was some kind of resin product that I could inject in to the gap which would allow holes to be drilled for the bolts and could be screwed in to. anyone know of such a product or have any other amazing ideas on how best to fix this please?

If you can get the material covering off, I would splice a new section of wood in the damaged location.  At least it won't have to be matching wood if you can get the material back on again to cover it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you can get the material covering off, I would splice a new section of wood in the damaged location.  At least it won't have to be matching wood if you can get the material back on again to cover it.

yeah. I know that's the 'best' way to do it but that means re-upholstering part of the bed where the faux-leather is to the left of the damaged section. I was hoping that would be the last resort! the wife is a dab hand at needlework and stuff but if there was an 'easier' solution I'd rather that!

but will definitely consider the new piece of wood route if nothing else comes to mind.

I have used epoxy putty to repair wooden props or furniture pieces, it’s good for jobs where a resin is too fluid for the job and I can’t mask up so the resin would leak before drying. I have been able to screw into once dry but my theatre props and furniture are only being used for a limited amount of time so have not tested in a permanent situation. Although can’t see why it wouldn’t.

• Thanks 1

Probably over the top but...

DeWalt DFC1330000 Polyester Styrene-Free Chemical Anchor Resin 300ml - Screwfix

or 

Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler White 550g - Screwfix

To fill the gaps

If you have access to a pillar drill and some thin [1 or 2mm thick will do] Mild steel, make a couple of mending plates.  on for each side to even up.

image.thumb.png.0ed19df6f66731e7d0d484115570b19f.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you drill and screw the split together, then remove the screws and screw in the missing part?

Possibly. Will investigate some more when I get some time!