Steels inside the block?!

Hi All, getting there slowly, now the bit I can't get my head around!

Using Nudura, our S.E. has specified this..for openings. Above will be the nudura block and walls. How do I do this? Any ideas? I will need to prop it obviously but surely the weight will crush the EPS underneath?

Cheers

image001.png

Timber instead of EPS, shotfired to flange plate, with the vertical EPS elements extended (or left long) to cover the timber.  And create a check reveal along the head.

Almavert do a product which could be used instead of timber.  

Illustration suggests Jackson being used.  Their end panel could potentially be fixed to the flange plate.

All could be done pre or post pour.

• Thanks 1

Curious as to why the design calls for a steel beam within the ICF cavity instead of a concrete beam with rebar and stirrups 

In your detail, you may need to clear out the webs in order for the steel beam to fit, prop it with some timber or acrows, prefer acrows as f any settling occurs from the block during the pour you can adjust the height of the beam, shouldn't be an issue with Nudura tho with solid webs connecting vertically. After the pour is done and acrows removed, use spray foam and attach the polystyrene cap below. 

Be careful if you have to cut webs out to make beam fit, you may need to do a bit of additional temporary forming to prevent the block from flaring out during the concrete placement as concrete pressures are high and without the webs, nothing to hold it in place

• Thanks 1

On my Nudura build, where there are opening for windows (one of which is 2.5m) 3 rows of rebar (instead of 1) was laid in the Nudura webs that sit above the opening and extending 450mm further each side. BCO accepted this as creating a "lintel" within the concrete that was poured.

If a steel beam is required, you can would pour concrete the approximate level of where the steel beam will sit, fit the steel to right level, shimming and bolting in place as necessary, then pour the concrete around the steel after. Don't have the steel sitting on the EPS as in the SE's drawing.

Cropped photo , so not focussed, but you should get the idea. We added the extra Nudura forms around the steel, braced it excessively, and then hand poured these pockets to enclose the steel.

20220308_174642(crop).jpg.d89840df29d1f8cf84b56d9e00dccb48.jpg

• Thanks 1

We had to use a large steel for a similar span. Our builder cut the Nudura block exactly level with the bottom of the steel, then the concrete was poured and screeded to this (with some bolts cast in too for attaching the steel. The block was then reinstated around the steel for the second pour. Pic is of the steel being lifted in to place but you can see the cut Nudura on the right

20211205_130733.jpg

• Thanks 1

That detail is not constructable as there will be nothing keeping the blocks together as you've effectively turned them in to two flat lengths of EPS. You put concrete to the level the beam will set, set the beam on, then build up the rest of the ICF around/over it. You then come back and fix insulation around the beam.

PXL_20201112_155246540.thumb.jpg.4fc58af7062327b187305d6ba7b48fde.jpgPXL_20201112_155147934.thumb.jpg.f95d4f4717b354e3014c401251be68c0.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conor said:

That detail is not constructable

It clearly is, see my picture above! Depends on what residual webbing is left between the EPS faces when the blocks are cut, and what external bracing you add

1 hour ago, Conor said:

You put concrete to the level the beam will set, set the beam on, then build up the rest of the ICF around/over it. You then come back and fix insulation around the beam.

Agree!

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

It clearly is, see my picture above! Depends on what residual webbing is left between the EPS faces when the blocks are cut, and what external bracing you add

Well, yes I suppose lol!! What I mean is it's a pain in the arse and depends on the depth of beam, positioning, and the type of ICF block and it's webbing. The method we used was fast and low risk. With the 203x203 beam, it's wider than the cavity and leaves no webbing in the block. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

With the 203x203 beam, it's wider than the cavity and leaves no webbing in the block.

Unless you're using the 8" (203mm) cavity version 🙂 (ask me how I know )