Just bought a brick and block cavity house (according to the home report) which is actually a timber frame build with brick outer leaf!

I should be a surveyor!

26 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Once the house is completed it is very difficult to tell the difference.

Yeah you're right. I'm just annoyed that neither the home report surveyor nor the surveyor we instructed to examine some badly spalled brickwork picked up on it. 

An architect I know said he knew within minutes of being in the house that it was timber framed.

I think the basic construction - wall / floor / roof layup and heating system should be described accurately along with the epc in all house transactions. In fact, to get a somewhat accurate epc, the epc person needs to actually know what the layup is and the heating method rather than just guess (officially called 'assume'). 

Edited by Alan Ambrose
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nnnvvv said:

Just bought a brick and block cavity house (according to the home report) which is actually a timber frame build with brick outer leaf!

I should be a surveyor!

Have you informed your a) mortgage provider and b) buildings Insurance provider.

There will have been tick boxes for method of construction.  Best to sort out now, rather than in the unfortunate event of a claim.