Is planning permission required for changing flat extension roof to pitched roof?

Hello everyone,

I am a first time home owner starting minor renovation and build work.

I am re-roofing the rear single story 3m extension of my semi detached house. I am changing the roof from flat to a pitched roof. The footprint of the extension remains unchanged. 

I have a neighbour that takes offence to everything and need to be careful.

Do I need planning permission for this work or legal issues to worry about?

Appreciate your input.

10 minutes ago, Alistair Shaw said:

I am a first time home owner starting minor renovation and build work.

Good for you. There is lots to learn, but if your approach it in the right way it can be great fun, personally and financially rewarding.

Have you had a look at your permittted development rights? You probably have but that is a good starting point. Even if you don't comply they help you identify where you don't and that leads you to the next step as to what you need to do to remain compliant with the regulations.

Where are you in the UK as PD rights differ.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 20:25, Gus Potter said:

Where are you in the UK as PD rights differ.

Hi Gary!

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your input. I'm in Harrow - London, I checked out the planning portal following your post and it seems I comply. 

It looks like I will have to demolish and rebuild the walls as they are single brick with timber panels and plasterboard on top. I will be remaining within the original 3M footprint. 

My private Building control are such unhelpful and incompetent wallies, they keep missing appointments, confusing my address with another client, turn up on site without reading any plans and all sorts of nonse. I am gut wrenched that I paid for £1080 for the privilege of a 5 min visit.

17 minutes ago, Alistair Shaw said:

Hi Gary!

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your input. I'm in Harrow - London, I checked out the planning portal following your post and it seems I comply. 

It looks like I will have to demolish and rebuild the walls as they are single brick with timber panels and plasterboard on top. I will be remaining within the original 3M footprint. 

My private Building control are such unhelpful and incompetent wallies, they keep missing appointments, confusing my address with another client, turn up on site without reading any plans and all sorts of nonse. I am gut wrenched that I paid for £1080 for the privilege of a 5 min visit.

Can i ask why you used a private BCO in this instance?

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2024 at 21:21, Roger440 said:

Can i ask why you used a private BCO in this instance?

I am a new home owner painstakingly doing my first refurb. I was advised by a friend that private Building Control are generally more helpful than council Building Inspectors.  I can categorically say they are not helpful at all!

When I put in a complaint about missed appointments, no site visit reports, etc the Director paid a site visit under the guise of being apologetic and helpful and turned on me. All of a sudden I have more issues to address that were previously not flagged by their Building Inspector.

On 01/02/2024 at 20:08, Alistair Shaw said:

I am re-roofing the rear single story 3m extension of my semi detached house. I am changing the roof from flat to a pitched roof. The footprint of the extension remains unchanged. 

On 06/02/2024 at 21:04, Alistair Shaw said:

It can sometimes get a bit tricky when you totally demolish something. I couldn't find a government source that explicitly covered this situation but..

https://www.hcrlaw.com/blog/demolition-when-is-planning-permission-needed/

Demolishing part of a building

Oddly, the permitted development rights discussed above relate only to the demolition of whole buildings. The demolition of part of a building is considered to be a structural alteration, and so you need planning permission.

However it sounds like you are well underway so I probably wouldn't bother.

For safety I would check you comply with the rules for a new extension buried in multiple places in here... 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d77afc8e5274a27cdb2c9e9/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf

I think the main issues might be the height. See top of page 17 which limits the height to 4m or 3m within 2m of the boundary..

(f) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would have a single storey and -

(i) extend beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse by more than 4 metres in the case of a detached dwellinghouse, or 3 metres in the case of any other dwellinghouse, or

(ii) exceed 4 metres in height

A single-storey extension must not extend beyond the rear of the original house by more than 4 metres if a detached house, or by more than 3 metres in any other case. In both cases, the total height of the extension must not be more than 4 metres. The rear wall or walls of a house will be those which are directly opposite the front of the house.

and page 22..

(i) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would be within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, and the height of the eaves of the enlarged part would exceed 3 metres

Where any part of a proposed extension to a house is within 2 metres of the boundary of its curtilage, then the maximum height of the eaves that is allowed for the proposal is 3 metres. Under paragraph (ja) (see page 28) if the proposed extension is within these limitations, but is being joined to a previous enlargement which exceeds these limitations, it will not be permitted development.

Guidance on measurement of height of eaves is covered under paragraph (d) above

Think there are also rules on the use of similar materials to the house.

• Like 1

PS:

A common problem with changing to a pitched roof is that there are windows on the first floor that limit how high the wall plate can be, and tiles and slates have a minimum pitch.  

I think typical eaves height is around 2.5m. If you can set the wall plate end at 4m that's a fall of 4-2.5 = 1.5m over 3m. That's a pitch of Arctan(1.5/3) = 26 degrees. Many tiles are limited to 30-35 degrees. Some are OK down to 15 degrees (may depend on exposure).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...