Light switch help

Pocster

About to wire a simple light switch .

Switch has L1 , L2 and common

Wall wiring has 2 lives and 2 neutrals .

Googling is confusing me !

Is it just brown live into L1 , other into L2 ( single gang ) ; then both neutrals into the common ?

Confidence I’m right , becomes hesitation, which becomes doubt , which becomes ask ! 

image.jpg

Hmmmm I think L2 isn’t used and neither of the neutrals ? ( just tape and push out the way ) . So maybe simply live into L1 and other live into common ?

Now I clearly don’t know ….

I would guess that one cable is incoming (power supply) and the other feeds the actual light 🤷‍♂️, therefore one live into common and the other into either l1 or l2 (does not matter) and the two neutrals connected together in a separate cable connector.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I would guess that one cable is incoming (power supply) and the other feeds the actual light 🤷‍♂️, therefore one live into common and the other into either l1 or l2 (does not matter) and the two neutrals connected together in a separate cable connector.

This is what I’m thinking @joe90 ( now ) . But you said ‘guess’ 🤣 - I don’t like guessing on electrics . I think we are correct but will wait before I commit to electrocuting… 😎

35 minutes ago, Pocster said:

About to wire a simple light switch .

Switch has L1 , L2 and common

Wall wiring has 2 lives and 2 neutrals .

Googling is confusing me !

Is it just brown live into L1 , other into L2 ( single gang ) ; then both neutrals into the common ?

Confidence I’m right , becomes hesitation, which becomes doubt , which becomes ask ! 

image.jpg

No! Do not put neutrals in common, neutrals stay separate. Post a pic of what you have in the other box.

simple switch is common and L1 or L2 

Edited by markc
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, markc said:

No! Do not put neutrals in common, neutrals stay separate. Post a pic of what you have in the other box.

simple switch is common and L1 or L2 

After my re think I’m going with neutrals tied together and out the way . 1 live in common other in L1 .

I bet my life ( literally ) on that being correct . 

image.jpg

Edited by Pocster
  • Like 1

Going back to the switch, yes I recon the neutrals were linked in the box, not on the switch plate. .. they could have been used as lives but should have been taped accordingly if so. Put them in a wago or block on their own …. For now lol

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Quite possibly, I just find following a diagram easier.

I find diagrams confusing 

I find what I read confusing 

I find what I post confusing 

• Haha 1

All done 👍

The switch was temporary.

I took it off sometime ago ( taking no notice of the wiring )

Wired in a ‘ smart’ switch .

Been giving me all kinds of grief ! . Turns on/off randomly . Dimming is shimmery . Sends Rf shite out on my zigbee network causing all kinds of other issues .

Removed it and replaced with boring normal switch ( so SWMBO can leave the lights on ) .

Obviously new smart switches on their way from land of the rising sun !

So temp switch will be removed in due course for more fun .

Edited by Pocster

22 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Wired in a ‘ smart’ switch .

Been giving me all kinds of grief ! . Turns on/off randomly . Dimming is shimmery . Sends Rf shite out on my zigbee network causing all kinds of other issues .

I had one of those, total sh1te, replaced it with a “real” switch.

3 hours ago, Pocster said:

But you said ‘guess’ 🤣 - I don’t like guessing on electrics .

I agree but without testing where the wires go or knowing I could only guess. Anyway what could possibly go wrong? 🤯 get yourself a multimeter.

• Like 1

Just now, joe90 said:

I had one of those, total sh1te, replaced it with a “real” switch.

I agree but without testing where the wires go or knowing I could only guess. Anyway what could possibly go wrong? 🤯 get yourself a multimeter.

My other smart switches are good with my HA just this one being a git. I have a multi meter but I only like using it when their are only 2 wires to check - feels safer.

• Haha 1