What's wrong with our laminate?

The laminate floor in our hall has edges protruding up.

Expansion gaps of at least 12mm left around the perimeter of the walls.

We have under floor heating but I've checked and this is compatible.

Subfloor is level and we have used an underlay.

Flooring rep is calling next week but I'd like as many opinions as possible.

Many thanks 

IMG20240118094054.jpg

IMG20240116173517.jpg

Either water damage or as we found in my wife’s house that a gap had been left in the underlay and walking on the unsupported bit caused the top to delaminate above the tongue/groove joint. 

1 minute ago, markc said:

Either water damage or as we found in my wife’s house that a gap had been left in the underlay and walking on the unsupported bit caused the top to delaminate above the tongue/groove joint. 

Could there have been moisture damage when it was stored in a warehouse?

The floor only gets a light mop with very little water, it's only been down a year at this point.

Underlay was put in even, there's numerous boards throughout with the same issue.

What's the story below? what kind of underlay? Old subfloor or newly laid screed/concrete? What temp is your UFH running at? Looks like some sort of moisture problem causing the boards to swell at the joins. 

11 minutes ago, Conor said:

What's the story below? what kind of underlay? Old subfloor or newly laid screed/concrete? What temp is your UFH running at? Looks like some sort of moisture problem causing the boards to swell at the joins. 

New build house, UFH is running at 20.5 degrees. Sand cement screed subfloor. Underlay is the orange perforated.

3 hours ago, jspaul said:

@nod

IMG20240118094025.jpg

IMG20240116173648.jpg

From experience I would look at the perimeter and check your not snagged under a skirting or round a door casing 

It looks more likely than moisture 

32 minutes ago, nod said:

From experience I would look at the perimeter and check your not snagged under a skirting or round a door casing 

It looks more likely than moisture 

If it is skirting that has been installed too tight, are the boards likely to be ok or because they are raised are they likely to be damaged now? 

What sort make of flooring is it.  I have put down some cheap laminate in our downstairs which has done this, I hoped it would last about 5 years as with 2 young boys you never know what's going to happen. 

It is just badly made unfortunately as you can walk over the joins and see the flex.

1 hour ago, MPH243 said:

What sort make of flooring is it.  I have put down some cheap laminate in our downstairs which has done this, I hoped it would last about 5 years as with 2 young boys you never know what's going to happen. 

It is just badly made unfortunately as you can walk over the joins and see the flex.

Euro home 12 mm AC4 or AC5 rated I believe. Seemed to be good enough stuff at the time.

I think it is the same as manufacturer as mine Krono 12mm, the kitchen I did glue all the joints as I did want it fairly water resistant and it is fine with no issues. The hallway is doing what yours has. 

You could see if you can move the joints apart on the ends (I can move the whole row of boards and seperate the joints by kicking the top of the board with trainers on) and glue the ends, I have managed to on the bad ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPH243 said:

I think it is the same as manufacturer as mine Krono 12mm, the kitchen I did glue all the joints as I did want it fairly water resistant and it is fine with no issues. The hallway is doing what yours has. 

You could see if you can move the joints apart on the ends (I can move the whole row of boards and seperate the joints by kicking the top of the board with trainers on) and glue the ends, I have managed to on the bad ones. 

Surely a manufacturing issue if that's the case? I can separate the boards in places.

Yes I think it is a manufacturing default but getting them to admit it is another thing. I think the MDF backing is not glued or compressed very welland does separate in layers.

I am planning on tiling most of it in a 2 or 3 years when we can afford it. 

• 2 months later...
On 19/01/2024 at 10:17, jspaul said:

UFH is running at 20.5 degrees

Sounds more like a room thermostat setting not a flow temp. Your flow temp is more likely to high 20s to anything above that.

Did you check the moisture content in the floor before laying?

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/03/2024 at 13:21, JohnMo said:

Sounds more like a room thermostat setting not a flow temp. Your flow temp is more likely to high 20s to anything above that.

Did you check the moisture content in the floor before laying?

How do I find out the flow temperature? Moisture reading was low

20 minutes ago, jspaul said:

How do I find out the flow temperature? Moisture reading was low

If you have no mixer the flow temp from your boiler or other heat source. If you have a mixer does that have a temperature gauge, otherwise you need to measure the hot temperature at the hot manifold.

Moisture reading low - who checked and how did they check? Was it done with floor moisture tester and left for 24 hrs?

26 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

If you have no mixer the flow temp from your boiler or other heat source. If you have a mixer does that have a temperature gauge, otherwise you need to measure the hot temperature at the hot manifold.

Moisture reading low - who checked and how did they check? Was it done with floor moisture tester and left for 24 hrs?

Yes, tiler tested all floors, moisture was low, he said laminate was ok to go down on it